How much will MM2104DVC really handle?

Options
Geoguy
Geoguy Posts: 6
edited January 2009 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I'm finishing the box/enclosure and will soon install a new 10" momo dual voice coil sub in my son's truck. My mono amp is rated at:

220 watts RMS at 4ohms and 350 watts RMS at 2ohms,

The MM2104DVC is rated at 300 wats RMS.

I really want to wire the sub in parallel to get the most out of the amp at 2ohms but I'm affraid I may overpower the sub. I've read that some people recommend a higher power amp that is as much as 15% more watts than the speaker, but I'm not sure. If it were me, I think I could restrain myself and not overpower the sub with distortion and potentially blow it out but it's going into my 17-year-old son's truck.

What do you think? Should I just use one voice coil and settle for 220 watts out of the amp to be conservative and not risk damage to the sub?

Thanks,
Geoguy
Post edited by Geoguy on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2008
    Options
    That amp will be fine. Make sure to set the gain properly (below half way) and to use common sense with the volume and youll be fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Geoguy
    Geoguy Posts: 6
    edited January 2009
    Options
    MacLeod,
    Just to let you know, I took your advice and used both voice coils on the sub and it sounds great. The amp is equipped with a remote level control knob that is very useful to turn down the power if the sub starts to distort. It took a little fiddling with the settings on the amp, but I think I've finally got it. I was really surprised by the 10" Momo - it booms hard!

Thanks,