funkey noise form stryke force.

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
i was showing off my ht and i got this like crack it was prety loud like the sound you hear when you smack some one with a open hand. i had it pret oud and the sub was about 5-7db hot over the other channels. but i dident have the volume cranked that loud. i dont think i boutomed out the subs. but i might have cliped the amp or sothing broke like a brace of the sub box? there was very low thd usaly a sub will sound bad befor it is reaching its limits. all help is apreashated
Post edited by goingganzo on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    ganzo,

First thought here is structural. I would think a "crack" like you described would be too hich pitched to be a sound the sub was reproducing. May just have to crawl in that puppy...

Any subsequent noise(s)... buzzing, rattling, etc.?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    i was showing off my ht and i got this like crack it was prety loud like the sound you hear when you smack some one with a open hand.

Bryan:

My vote is for bottoming the driver.

Can't remember - are you using a subsonic filter on that sub?

Subsonic signal content can easily bottom any vented alignment below its tune point unless you are using a SS filter.

What was the exact passage when you heard the noise?

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2003
    Options
    i have the svs bass box and the ss filter was set to 16hz and my tune is 17 hz it was well past the ring drop. i know what botoming out sounds like i do it all the time in my car with my sub. i have a cheap 12 with a 5 year warentee on it. i have replaced it 6 times in the 1st 2 years. i havent broke it in the last 2 years. botoming out makes a kind of cherping sound squeeking sound. actuley i think i found my cupret i am looking at the polk audio sign above the sub that was hanging on the wall and it is resting on the rail above the sub in pieces.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by goingganzo
    actuley i think i found my cupret i am looking at the polk audio sign above the sub that was hanging on the wall and it is resting on the rail above the sub in pieces.

Ahhh.......ya gotta love structural damage caused by a sub. What a happy ending.

Now I remember you also had the bass box. That thing is excellent for protecting the drivers; you can really push the sub much harder with it in the loop.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS