Bass Trap

Options
inspire
inspire Posts: 21
has any1 here used bass trap or any other sound deadning panel in their home theater room??
any1????
My Setup
panasonic 50" plasma
Monster Power 7000 SS
Silicon Image IscanUltra Pro
B&K reference 50 preamp
B&K reference 200.7 amp
Martin Logan Ascent i main
Martin Logan Theater i center
Martin Logan Decent Sub
Polk RT 800 for side surrounds
Polk FX300 for Rears
Post edited by inspire on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Though it would appear not, there is some expertise 'round here...

inspire,

I've seen a few posts on room treatments (sonex panels or other) here, but think they were after threads had wandered away from original topic. Get your search on and maybe you will stumble across it.

I've seen zero on tube traps and the like.

Maybe if you describe your bass issue(s) and what you have tried a little help will come your way.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    This guy knows his stuff and many people over at www.audioasylum.com use his DIY treatments and get great results. His web site is hard to follow sometimes since he doesn't provide pictures. His tube bass traps do have some pics that could help with construction...

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a.htm
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I might move soon. The only room for the HT/hifi would be a miniscule little 10 foot 9 by 10 spare bedroom. 8 feet high, too I believe.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA CUBES!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyway, what would help in that situation? I've been thinking of a few things that might help...

*building "false" corners out of a couple of 4x8's, and setting them freestanding in the two front corners. put fabric or something over the fronts to prevent excess reverberation (sp?)

*put some big furniture in the corners

*Hang some heavy quilts/drapes/whatever all along the walls between the false corners to help a tiny bit with standing waves and to prevent nasty slap echo.

*put the sub and speakers on pieces of slate to isolate them from the floor.

Unlike the bedroom, this will be an empty room (i.e. I can do whatever I want in it...), so the seating will almost have to go on the wall opposite the front of the system. I did that once in the bedroom, and it certainly was louder, but my head hurt after a while. It sounded congested like a "i hate my fillings" type car stereo.
  • inspire
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Where can i purchase those tube trap on the web??
    I want to try one to cure the boomy bass cuz of my weird room setup.
    thanks~~
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Before you buy any, cruise over to WWW.Hometheaterforum.com Check out the DIY area, do a search for bass traps and hemholtz resonators, you'll find a boat load of info on making your own.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • inspire
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks~ frank.
    My Setup
    panasonic 50" plasma
    Monster Power 7000 SS
    B&K reference 50 preamp
    B&K reference 200.7 amp
    Martin Logan Decent Sub
    Polk FX300 for Rears
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Your Welcome! Don't forget to share your findings/results with the rest of us!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Here's a good looking DIY link list site dealing with room acoustics.
    http://members01.chello.se/jpo/acoustics.html

Here's one similar to the Jon Risch one (which also looks good), but looks a little cheaper and easier. http://ic.net/~jtgale/diy2.htm

Same style. May also be helpful.
    http://teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

rs159 also has some great ideas.

I'd also like to add to his false corners comment by adding that if you've got a nice table saw, you could put some large triangles in the corners of the room. You might even try some of that insulation used in the other links and instead of a tube, glue it in the corners.

I too will be moving my 2ch rig to a new house soon and will be probably have to try something. Furtunately it's not quite a cube.

Good luck. Let us know.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Easiest I've seen yet (since last post). It seems like you could make some movable panels out of insulation covered cloth and 2X2 frames. Put 4 L-brackets on the bottom for legs and they'll look like Magnepans or cubicle walls.http://www.audiotweaks.com/tweaks/tweak_367.htm

You could also run an EQ between your sub and receiver LFE (or pre) outs and subtract/add where necessary.

Great site. I found this one during my search. A boatload of possible tweaks for every aspect. I may post a dedicated thread later, but for now it's time to go back to school.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by rs159
    *put some big furniture in the corners

I can put seating there. I can only imagine :eek:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM