Sigh

Options
i4gotmyid
i4gotmyid Posts: 173
edited June 2003 in Electronics
My wife said no go to an Adcom GFA 550X. She axed my budget for a new amp to no more than $250 (something about buying food and gas, blah blah blah). Sigh . Ok, so does anyone know of a good cheap amp to drive my SDA 2.3s? Obviously 200 watts/channel would be nice but dont know of anything in the price range except for professional amps, but dont know if I could hook them up, they need a unbalanced 1/4 to a speakerwire and I dont know if a cable like that exists. I have a yammy HT receiver, and an old H/K int amp, but I dont think either has the required clean power to drive these babies. Any ideas? Would it work to bi-amp these with what I have? Use the H/K amp to drive the tweeters and the yammy to drive the woofers? I believe the H/K is 40 Watts/channel and the yammy is 100 watts/channel. Any other suggestions would be great (ie. point me to a cheap/good amp).
Post edited by i4gotmyid on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Carver m400a
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2003
    Options
    http://members.aol.com/KDresch/m-5140.html

I would give this amp some thought. A friend has one hooked up to his Montior 7C's. Very nice amp on the cheap.

Stay away from the Carver m400's, until I bag another one. Capisce?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    What the F is a-matta with you Troy?

Quit giving out the 'good' links.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Just picked up a used NAD C270 for 300+shipping over on audiogon. There is not supposed to be very little this thing can't drive........the power reserves are awsome....worth a look.
    Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • TroyD
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    What the F is a-matta with you Troy?

Quit giving out the 'good' links.

Jesus, man, you're right. The heat must be getting to me. Disregard the above post. You NEVER saw it. It DOESN'T exist.

BDT
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Edit function man..edit.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    First off... If they're both common ground designs, I'd try your bi-amp scheme under the heading of nothing to lose. Otherwise...

New... 200 wpc... < $250... Don't think you're going to find this combo out there. Pretty much why the above replies are all used amps.

I regularly watch Carver on ebay and up until the past few weeks the M1.0t was right in your wheelhouse, but then they jumped to going over $300 for some reason.
    http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&query2=carver+m&search_option=1&submit=+Search+&minPrice=150&maxPrice=250&category0=293&completedOnly=30&exclude=&st=&SortProperty=MetaHighestPriceSort&maxRecordsPerPage=100&region=0&worldlocation=ebayctry&available_to=1&located_in=1&ebaycurr=1&siteid=0&query=carver+m&shortcut=&ebaytag1code_tmp=1&ebaytag1_tmp=ebayavail&ebaytag1code=1&ebaytag1=ebayavail&ebaytag12=ebayreg&from=R6
    The 400A does look like the only real option.
    Side note: Wish I'd seen the mis-listing on the M-500t for $200, but it is not an SDA amp... Carver's only amp I know of that was not common ground design.

Quite a variety of Adcom amps on ebay going under $250, but they're 100 wpc models and under.
    http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&SortProperty=MetaHighestPriceSort&query=adcom+gfa&minPrice=150&maxPrice=250&from=R6&ebaytag1=ebayavail&ebaycurr=1&ebaytag1code=1&siteid=0&ht=1&maxRecordsPerPage=100&category0=293&combine=y&st=2

Good luck...

EDIT: Thanks for the new link, Troy... :D...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    That Oknyo has Dean written all over it for some reason. I miss that horney mo-fo.

I recently purchased an old Soundcraftsman that I truly enjoy to listen to. Neutral to warm sound with plenty of power to back it up. It was around $120 and is said to be 200w/ch. It has a fan, but mine was replaced with a quieter one.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Aw, c'mon Tour, I gave you that one already! Besides your sitting on more power than South Carolina Electric and Gas for crying out loud!

Actually, I believe that the m1.5t is also a non-common ground amp.

Back to the issue at hand though, I think the Onk is a good amp at a damn reasonable price (around a dollar a watt). Most of the m400's that I've seen have been going 250 minimum and up. Also, I'd keep an eye peeled for an m0.5t as well. 140wpc and can drive my DQ-10's without breaking a sweat.

BDT
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Yeah, I know... just messin' TD, just messin'...

Love the SCE&G comment... :lol:... I think I am on the brink of qualifying for an industrial rate contract, but then I'd have to call-in before I crank up in the morning... What a pain in the... :D

The 1.5t is a common ground model. It's one of the reasons I traded up from my original 500t many moons ago. I knew SRS's were in my future. Other reason was because the 1.5 was more powerful.

Both the 1.5 and the 1.0 in the closed Carver M link I posted were fixer-uppers.

Back on topic...
    There's three or so M400's up right now. I have seen a 0.5t very seldom, but every once in a while one pops up.

Twin M100's are a possibility as well for either bi-amping or bridging.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Huh, I didn't know that. When I bought the amp from George he told me that it wasn't and as such wouldn't be SDA friendly. I guess you learn something new every day!

BDT
  • i4gotmyid
    edited June 2003
    Options
    is the carver m400 a good amp? i saw one on audiogon for a reasonable price and emailed him, but he hasnt replied yet. i've never heard any carver products...well i heard a preamp a long time ago, but not their amps. is it a good product?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, and guess what, yes.

Bag one. (or two)
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2003
    Options
    i4gotmyid,

See Hotwheelman's thread in the Flea Market to see if any of these could work for you.....

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10390
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Yes, yes, yes, and guess what, yes.

Bag one. (or two)
    Damn... two questions get 4 yeses (or is it yesi?)... Must be an enthusiast... :)

$175 for that 545II in hotwheelman's post is pretty sweet...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2003
    Options
    sometimes on Ebay you can score a Marantz mono block amp for $125 each.
    125 w for 8ohm or 180w for 4ohm you would need two of them. one for each speaker.
    they are MA500 not the more expensive MA700
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TroyD
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Only problem with the Marantz mono's is that it would require the interface thingie with the SDA's if I'm not mistaken....

BDT
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Only problem with the Marantz mono's is that it would require the interface thingie with the SDA's if I'm not mistaken....
    Damn, you're sexy when you talk technical... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• TroyD
    edited June 2003
    Options
    awwww, I'm blushing...

BDT
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    ;lol: probably just your 47th sun burn...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• i4gotmyid
    edited June 2003
    Options
    i hate ebay, its like 2 days before the auction ends i am winning, then 1 day, still ahead but the price is closer to my max, then 2 hours before ending I am behind by $1 so I raise my price and then with 10sec left, I lose by $1....AAARRRGGGHHHH. $1!!!! Those people must have a faster internet connection than I do.
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    i4,
    Check the bid history on the items you are losing. It is likely that they are to either an earlier proxy bid. It is possible that you are being outsniped, but again it's a last second proxy that is doing it, not necessarily someone reacting to your bid. Regardless, if someone is willing to bid more than you....

That said, I know the feeling. Best remedy? Get the price in your mind you are willing to pay and add 10% as a hedge against buyers remorse.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli