power for eclipse titaniums

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited January 2009 in Car Subwoofer Talk
so, you know how i've been lusting after one of these eclipse titaniums for a while? well, it's now very likely that i could (finally!) acquire one, which means that i have to have some way to power it... i've done some research and narrowed it down to two amps

both are hifonics brutus-class amps:
the BX1605D boasts 1100W x 1Ch @ 2Ohms, or 1600W x 1Ch @ 1Ohm
the BX2005D features 1300W x 1Ch @ 2Ohms, or 2000W x 1Ch @ 1Ohm
the sub is dual 4-ohm, and at this point there'd be only one of them, and the first amp will power it quite sufficiently. however, if i find that one sub isn't cutting it for me, i'd like the flexibility to add a second - enter amp number two. this one can power both subs more than adequately, and will obviously do quite well on only one if i'm careful with the gain

the question is, if i do end up with two subs, and i do wire them to a 1 ohm load, will they sound like butt? because if they will, then i simply won't ever bother with a second sub, if i'm dissatisfied i'll fix it in a different way... before i continue, let me confirm that damping factor is halved when impedance is halved, right?? if so, that's not a concern, because amp 1 has damping >250, but amp 2 has damping >400, which at one ohm is >200, a negligible difference... what really concerns me is a) the power of amp 2 does NOT double from 2 to 1 ohm, which i interpret as the thing running out of steam... in addition, i worry about the lack of headroom at 1 ohm; i'm out for sound quality (albeit very loud sound quality), and floppy basslines are not my idea of good sound quality...

need i worry about this decrease in sq, or is it of no concern?

ignoring paragraphs two through four, what other amps would you reccommend (preferably in the price range listed - i rather like the fact that these things are massively on sale)? am i making a good decision by going with the eclipse titanium?

questions? concerns? comments? abuse? thanks for any input...

p.s. i'd like to have a plan in place by friday night-ish, if possible, so if you have something to say, speak now or forever hold your peace! :D
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• new-yorker
    new-yorker Posts: 32
    edited November 2005
    Well..simply..if the sub is DVC..and the amp can handle a 1 ohm load, shouldnt be a problem. I never installed Eclipse Subs, but i dont see the problem. Check out this amp...this amp is made by a new company out called Elevation Audio. Its a NY based company, i know the owners personally, they make great quality stuff, and both owners are huge Polk fans. I think its a perfect amp for your setup. http://www.elevationaudio.com/dx1500.htm
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    - elevation audio concert650 components
    - elevation audio concert525 components
    - PolkMOMO MM2104 (2)
    - Clarion 7" in-dash monitor
    - jl audio 300/4
    - jl audio 500/1
    - Fahrenheit 7" Monitor
    - Fahrenheit 5.8" Monitor (2)
    - hugfen wiring
    - PS2
  • CrBoy
    CrBoy Posts: 580
    edited November 2005
    new-yorker wrote:
    I think its a perfect amp for your setup. http://www.elevationaudio.com/dx1500.htm
    MSRP: $899 :eek:

Hey Neo... if you end up getting the Eclipse Titanium please let us know how it sounds, because I want to get one or two of those... and I haven't been able to get a full review anywhere :(

Cheers!
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    yeah, i haven't been able to find a review for those models either... i have this email & response from their customer service guy:

EMAIL:
    I've reviewed many companies, and have chosen to go with Eclipse for my low-frequency needs. I've not been able to find the appropriate models to have a listen, and so the question I pose is: Which subwoofer line would you reccommend for maximum sound quality? I'm inclined to select the titanium series (not Pro, I can't fit anything larger than a 12" driver), but I've heard that it's intended primarily for the SPL-seeker. While SPL is a concern, SQ is the primary goal. Thanks for the help.

RESPONSE:
    You have absolutely made an awesome decision going with the SW9122. You
    will absolutely love it! It is a SQ speaker but if you need to do some
    SPL that it will. I would suggest you going with at least 1000W to each
    subwoofer.

Thank you,
    Airon Ayala
    Account Manager
    Eclipse

I'm pretty firm on this (see my work-in-progress here for the other things I'm considering), so if i can get the amp, we shall see...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • CrBoy
    edited November 2005
    neomagus00 wrote:
    RESPONSE:
    You have absolutely made an awesome decision going with the SW9122. You
    will absolutely love it! It is a SQ speaker but if you need to do some
    SPL that it will. I would suggest you going with at least 1000W to each
    subwoofer.

Thank you,
    Airon Ayala
    Account Manager
    Eclipse

Sounds promising... I want one of the Titaniums because my other options are Alpine, RF, MTX and maybe Crossfire... not one of them is an SQ sub as far as I know...
    <|>
  • new-yorker
    new-yorker Posts: 32
    edited November 2005
    MSRP says 899..but in reality...the amp cost around 400 bucks. call elevation audio and ask them.
    1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe
    - elevation audio concert650 components
    - elevation audio concert525 components
    - PolkMOMO MM2104 (2)
    - Clarion 7" in-dash monitor
    - jl audio 300/4
    - jl audio 500/1
    - Fahrenheit 7" Monitor
    - Fahrenheit 5.8" Monitor (2)
    - hugfen wiring
    - PS2
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    okay, well, amp problem solved... the bx2005d should be in my hands two weeks from now (long story short, i got to order my own xmas present, with partially my own cash, to be delivered a couple weeks early)... now all i have to do is confirm i'm making the right choice with the eclipse titanium sw9122...

• CrBoy
    edited November 2005
    that's a nice amp Neo... and the Eclipse should be a *really* good sub...

I was wondering if a Crossfire VR602 (600wrms x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged, 12.5v) would be enough to push one sw9122...
    Will I have to upgrade the electric system on my car (a Jetta or a Golf GTI, don't know yet) to run around 800wrms (2 amps)...? :confused:

I need some light... :o
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    well, the problem wtih that is, the sw9122 is DVC, 4 ohms apiece, so you can a) drive one coil with those 600 watts and use the other to vary QTC, if you like, b) run each channel separately to get 300 watts total (thwppt) or c) not use that amp (unless it's somehow stable to 2 ohms bridged, then it's a whole new ballgame)... and i think you'll be okay with the stock electrics there...

• CrBoy
    edited November 2005
    You're right... I think I will have to get the VR600D (2 ohms stable, 600wrms x 1)...

the question is... are 600wrms enough for that sub, or 1000wrms will be better (overkill?)

:confused:
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    well, it's spec'd at 750 continuous (sine wave) and 1500 music (probably some specific pattern of tones that replicates typical music)... i'm not worried about the >1300 i'll be putting to it, and the marketing guy said at least 1000...

• CrBoy
    edited November 2005
    1000 watts going to 1 sub its a lot of power... I'm wondering if only 2 mids (sr6500 hopefully) would be enough..... damn!!!

Choices... choices...choices...damn choices...

Ps. Neo, sorry to derail your thread a bit :o
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2005
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eclipse Titanium SW9122 on its way! Now, I wire the car in preparation...

• CrBoy
    edited November 2005
    You're so damn lucky......... congrats man! :)
    <|>
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    hmm...I'm too late. I never really check this forum. For future reference, the Diamond D6, which can be had for cheap at OCS can get pretty damn loud and maintain excellent SQ. I get to sound deaden my hood today!!! yay!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    One more for the record: that VR600D makes over 760 watts cleanly.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited December 2005
    so, i have the hifonics waiting at my ohio house, the sub waiting at my pennsylvania house with the pieces of its box (i cut the mdf before realising i'd packed my drywall screws into temporary storage :rolleyes:, so i have to get more), and my battery is bolted down in the trunk (vented to the outside, don't get all nervous on me...)

this is me not wanting to wait till sunday to get the amp in...!!

and i'm going to a friend's birthday party (21st, fun) and it'll look cool, but not yet sound cool... bummer...

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2005
    i want new stuff:(
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    Hey Neo... did you hook up the Eclipse sub to the bx2005d? Not yet? :confused::confused:
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    i did, as a matter of fact, and i learned first hand how evil the transfer function of a small car can be...

i installed it, eyeballed the gains, turned it on, was immediately deafened, re-did the gains, and sat down to tune... i got my trusty radioshack SPL meter and some graph paper and graphed my FR from 20-100 Hz in 5 Hz increments, discovering a 7+ dB spike at 53-57 Hz, plus other various spikes and dips... i then cranked up the bass boost on the amp and did it again, to find the center and Q of the bass boost... i then got angry and frustrated, totally eyeballed the bass boost and 2 bands of eq to try and level it out, and now it actually sounds pretty good...

i absolutely need an RTA and more detailed EQ to make any more improvement, though, and it definitely needs it... however, even without, it is a very musical subwoofer, it blends perfectly with my midbass and on up, doesn't localise the sound at all (xovered at 80 Hz, 18 dB/oct), and is smooth as butter at normal volume levels... it can also hit 121 dB on that radioshack dB-meter at 35 Hz, in a sealed box, and the meter is like 3dB down at 35 Hz...

i'm thinking that i'm gonna try and get some more accurate measurements of the transfer function, and build a vented box to try and level it out a bit... the sub's suspension is certainly hard enough to deal with it, and the box i have now has too early of a roll-off - it's too small, i'd say by 10-20%...

• CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    I'm really interested in your opinion about the sub? is it worth it?
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    i love it to bits, yep... naturally, this is as much a function of install as of the sub, but seeing as it's in a bad install and it still sounds good, i'd say it's a pretty good little speaker...

• CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    ... i'd say it's a pretty good little speaker...

Little??? :confused::confused: :eek:
    I thought it was a massive, heavy as hell sub...
    <|>
  • neomagus00
    edited January 2006
    well, yeah, it is... btw, make sure you line up the holes when you drop it in the box, else it's wicked tough to pry it back out...

• CrBoy
    edited January 2006
    neomagus00 wrote:
    well, yeah, it is... btw, make sure you line up the holes when you drop it in the box, else it's wicked tough to pry it back out...

I'll make sure... the Jetta has a huge trunk so I should be able to build a nice box to house the Eclipse(s) :eek: :D
    <|>
  • tim1357
    tim1357 Posts: 1
    edited November 2008
    i just got two of those beasts. but im not sure what to power them with so it will sound good and deep. any suggestions?
  • cadenceclipse
    cadenceclipse Posts: 459
    edited January 2009
    what kind of box? what r your amp options?price? if u have 2, u def only need sealed box, ported will be very loud. i have 1 ported. if u have the power and electrical system do sealed which will want 1500-3000 rms. ported u could get away w/ 1000-1700. with such a nice sub you'll want a nice amp. plan on spending some $$?
    Polk MM6501 kick panels, Eclipse cd7200mkll and SW9122 Bomb Box, Cadence A4, A7, CAP5, JL8W3V3