Monitor center

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited June 2003 in Speakers
This is my prototype, temporary "Monitor Series" center channel speaker.

The pink you see on the right, in the port, is plugging the port. The pink you see above the left 6.5" driver is there to hold the grill in place (obviously the grill isn't shown). The pink you see in the left-hand port is actually the lining inside the speaker.

I don't know how to post multiple pics, so I have to use another post....

This speaker is a 'new' SL2000, two 6502s, and the crossover from an RTA8. Sounds great, and can handle more power than the small Advent center I was using.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• burdette
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The whole setup...

The sub is that far away from the TV otherwise the sub driver distorts the TV. Both 7Cs used to be able to sit as close as the left one, but I had to move the TV up to help with the shielding for the center, and moving it up then caused the right 7C to interfere with the TV. Whatever component within the TV that gets "bothered" by magnets is on the right-hand side on the bottom. Not nearly the problems on the left side. This is as it sits now. I should be able to put the right main closer to the TV once I get some bucking mags for the 7Cs.. and the sub will go (again) on the right side of the right main.

The TV cart is made of 3/4" and 1" MDF, and I added internal bracing. No buzzes or rattling of any kind. Eventually, the center will get its own new box. But this is working great for now. The "grill" that I'm using (to keep little hands off) is off one the 5jr+ surrounds. Fits nicely over the drivers, doesn't quite stretch all the way across the baffle.

I've measured 104 dB peaks overall so far. Way too loud for even drunken listening, so the system is capable of more than I ask of it right now.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Looks great! Good job.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I agree... pretty sweet looking.

Had to chuckle at the magnets chasing you TV all over the room... domino effect...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    That looks real neat, Polk Forum thinking at its best :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    When we gonna get together for a listen Mark?

I figure start at my house and take it from there.

Let me know.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Anytime really, Jesse and I are down with an adventure, email me hoss :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Looks GREAT Mark!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • burdette
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    When we gonna get together for a listen Mark?

I figure start at my house and take it from there.
    HBomb

Yes, we do need to do that. And that sort of planning is exactly the thing I'm really bad about doing and following through on. But we can't let the summer go without getting it done... the 4th happens to be a long weekend this year and I don't think we've plans to travel... perhaps that could be our first tentative time-frame... now watch me get home and my wife tells me "oh ya, forgot to mention, I want to travel on the 4th."

... uh.. but honey... there are TWO subs there, didn't you hear me say that?

We've got too many cool things to show-off to let it go too long. So I'll try to whip myself in shape, H.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    Yes, we do need to do that. And that sort of planning is exactly the thing I'm really bad about doing and following through on. But we can't let the summer go without getting it done... the 4th happens to be a long weekend this year and I don't think we've plans to travel... perhaps that could be our first tentative time-frame... now watch me get home and my wife tells me "oh ya, forgot to mention, I want to travel on the 4th."

... uh.. but honey... there are TWO subs there, didn't you hear me say that?

We've got too many cool things to show-off to let it go too long. So I'll try to whip myself in shape, H.

We have no plans for travel and will be here. Perhaps a family barbeque is in order at my place. Put on Monster's Inc or Toy Story and let the kids have at it.:D

Whatever is convenient for you is cool with me.

Henry
    ***WAREMTAE***