LSI9's With PW650

Options
rbauer
rbauer Posts: 9
Hello,

Can the LSI 9's be connected directly to the PW650 sub so the variable crossover can be used, and when this is done, how is the signal actually split up ? The LSI9's are a 4ohm device, but the PW650 has its own internal amplifier... Or should the sub be used as an LFE device only with LSI 9's ? Which hookup method is better, and why ?

Regards,
Rich
Post edited by rbauer on

Comments

• BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited June 2003
    Options
    two ways to hook up a sub...Line level (rca cable) and speaker level (using the speaker wire). When you hook up the the sub using speaker level method, your subwoofer amp is doing the following task:

It takes the signal comming in from the wire and filters the higher and lower frequencies ( based on the crossover setting you specify by turning the knob). Then the subwoofer amp amplifes the lower frequencies and sends the highs to the speakers...

(Note that the sub amp does not power the speakers hooked up to it. It only amplifies the lower frequencies. The amp [Usually a receiver] feeding the subwoofer amp is the amp that is powering the speakers and seeing the load, example 4 ohm, 8 ohm)

The line level works using the rca sub output or LFE output on the receiver and it plugs into the rca input on the subwoofer. S lot of new and some old receivers have adjustable crossovers built in. If not, then the crossover is fixed (usually 80Hz or 100Hz). Set your crossover (80Hz is generally a good place to start) on the receiver and then turn the crossover knob on the sub amp to its wide open position (max crossover setting). This will prevent what's known as double filtering, becasue you want the receiver to be acting as the crossover...

I consider the line level alternative to be the better of the two choices and it only requires one connection...

Hope this helps...
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Nice write up BL... Concise representation of the speaker wire (Polk way) and the LFE (Club Polk way).

One minor comment, if the sub's LFE input is used, its crossover network is bypassed so the adjustment knob is not in play.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD