Marilyn Manson - The Golden Age Of Grotesque

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited June 2003 in Music & Movies
I finally picked up this album and upon first listen it is FANTASTIC. I know most of you reading this think it's weird that I like this band, but in all honestly I've been a fan of Marilyn Manson since 'Smells Like Children' was realeased which was before all the hype surrounding his 'Anti-Christ Superstar' record. I happen to agree with a lot of what Marilyn Manson chooses to expose about the world, and I also disagree with others. I look at things in a slightly different angle than him and obviously wouldn't go to his extremes, but all of his discs are themed.

A CD about God
A CD about the Glam Lifestyle
A CD about Hollywood

and now a CD that incompasses a lot of issues surrounding society and exploits classifications of people. That's what I've always liked about Marilyn Manson...He isn't afraid to say the things that nobody else wants to in his music. It's not that he is some 'Anti-Christ' ect...ect. It's almost like playing a role.

I didn't like all of his records. My favorites were 'SLC' and 'AS'....and I think this latest effort is going to be a favorite as well. Like I said...I agree with some of what he says and disagree with many others. For me, what it all comes down to is the music. I think 'Anti-Christ Superstar' has some of the best music I've heard on a record in a long time up to that albums release. If you haven't heard it I suggest you check it out.

Be open minded people. I think that all the hype surrounding 'AS' has turned a lot of people away do to the medias false stigma of that album. I know it's hard to turn off preconcieved notions that the mind has already formed, but I assure you there is much better music tucked away in the depths of his music than what has been trotted out onto MTV.

Most importantly this sounds great on a good stereo.

This is coming from a person with a Conservative ideology so if I can have an open mind...so can you.
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I just purchased this today. Haven't had time to listen, but I'm hearing really good buzz about it.

I got interested in them about a year ago. I always thought their music would be total garbage. I like that heavy metal type of guitar sound they have.

Manson is pretty brilliant. The guy knows how to sell himself and uses an image that everyone loves to hate...and that makes him only more popular!

I'll give my review when I give it a listen.

John
    No excuses!
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2003
    Options
    MM Kicks A$$.
    Great new CD.
    Going to see him on Ozzfest on 7/2. Sweet!!!!!!!!!:cool:
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I checked out some of this CD the other day. Track 5, use your fist and not your mouth, really stood out for me. It's just flat out balls to wall jam session!

"This is the ****" is pretty kickass also!

Good to see they're back to the old style of busting ****!

John
    No excuses!