Setting up a pre-amp Beginner Question

Options
lordkemo
lordkemo Posts: 6
edited December 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Alrighty, first off i'm sorry for this seemingly dumb question. I have an RX-V657 receiver that i used for some LSI9's and an LSIC. (I got them using an employee discount at 75% off) I know, that was stupid now. I just bought an VSX-1018ah-k, again, not knowing that i'm not giving my speakers enough power or ohm's (8 rated, but the speakers need 4). So my question is, can i pre-amp my RX to my VSX and give the speakers the ohm'age? it needs or am i just totally out of my mind. Again sorry for the dumb question, i've searched everywhere and i couldn't find the answer to this. Thanks for the help in advance.
Post edited by lordkemo on

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Instead you should have bought an amplifier. Both receivers have preouts for external amplification. Sell one receiver and get a used 2, 3 or 5 channel amp.

Something like this: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75823
  • lordkemo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Sami,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into getting that amp. Looks like a beast. Quick qestion though... Both amps that I own of pre-outs and the vsx has the Multi channel in. So does that mean i could use the rx as a pre-amp or that it wouldn't even matter for what i'm doing. I realize i've made a big mistake, i'm just seeing if i could use what I already have and try to fix it. But thanks, i'm really going to look at the AMP. That would power my LSI's nicely i bet.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I wouldn't even try, just go ahead and get an amp. Your problem was the RX wouldn't drive them well, and neither does the VSX? Nothing would change if you used the other as a preamp and the other as an amp. 1 + 1 in this case would equal to 1.
  • lordkemo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Got it, thanks sami. Sometimes you just have to face the facts. I'll get me an amp to power those speakers. I won't damage my Vsx-1018 by running it on normal for a while right? Blah, you live and learn.
  • curved
    curved Posts: 664
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I would get an amp asap! Those AVR's will run extremely hot and most likely go into protection mode...
    Living Room:....................[HTML] [/HTML] Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**
  • lordkemo
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Curved,

Yeah i figured as much. However, i've been running that rx-v657 for 2 years now and i've never had a problem. I understand the playing with fire saying, but if i don't jack the sound it shouldn't destroy my new receiver right?

Like i said, i got those LSI9's for about 250 new. I didn't realize power they needed though, i guess not every deal is great.
  • curved
    curved Posts: 664
    edited December 2008
    Options
    It's probably going to shorten the life of the amp....but if it's been working with out powering off, it should be fine temporarily.

YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL BY THE WAY....get an amp and you'll hear those things come out of their shell!!
    Living Room:....................[HTML] [/HTML] Zone 2 (Workout Room):
    AVR - Yamaha RX-V757......JBL 4312 Pro Monitors
    Pre - Nak CA-5
    AMP - Adcom 555 (Main)
    Main - Polk RTI8**/RTiA5
    AMP - Adcom 545II (Center)
    Center - Polk CSiA4**
    Sub - Snell Basis 300:p......Zone 3 (Outside)
    CD - Yamaha CDC-555.......Def Tech AW5500
    TV - Pani TH-42PZ80U
    BR - LG BD390
    Monster HTS1600 Power Center
    Dedicated Circuit - (2) 20amp, (1) 15amp
    Ben's IC, Canare 4S11

**Dayton and Sonicap Caps with Mills Resistors**