Speaker stands

Options
Frank
Frank Posts: 2
I have read that surround speakers (5.1) should sit approx. 3 feet above your ear (mounted on a stand) from where you sit; yet, speaker stands seem to come in a max size of 36 inches. Why is this ?

thx's
Frank
Post edited by Frank on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Most people hang their surrounds on the wall. Speaker stands over 36" tall would be very unstable. Most speaker stands are only used for the front mains (if you have standmounted main speakers).
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I think your best bet is to mount them on the wall. I think most manuals say to mount the rears on speaker stands. Speaker stands are good for fronts but to get the rears to the desired hight, I would recommend mounding them on the wall. However, everyone has certain room constraints and if wall mouning is not a option, then pick up the tallest stands you can find. Remember, the taller the stand, the easier it is to tip...so make sure the stands are solid and will not get top heavy. Compromise is a must in most setups. A nice thing about mounting them on the wall is it will save so $$$.

-BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Most Polk bookshelf speakers have a keyhole to hang them whih makes them fairly easy to wall mount. If you are not able to wall mount your surrounds than stands are probably the only other way to set up your speakers. My room setup dosnt allow me to wall mount my surrounds, & I have them sitting on 36" stands. The setup seems to be ok, but I havnt tried wall mount so I couldnt tell you which sounded better in my room. I watch more movies & 2 chanel music so the surrounds dont cary a heavy load.