Opinions needed please

Options
tony.king
tony.king Posts: 4
edited June 2003 in Speakers
I'm thinking of replacing the 5.25" drivers in my R40s and R10s with the blue drivers like the ones in my CSi30. I recently broke down and bought a true center channel after I had been using two r15s bolted together in a rectangular fashion and I must admit that the CSi30 kicks *ss. The vocals are a lot more broad as far as frequency is concerned and dispersion is top notch. I will be using the CSi30s 5.25" blue drivers in the R40s and the RTi28 5.25" drivers in the R10s.
Post edited by tony.king on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I don't think you can do this due to the crossover, and the cost of the drivers might bring you close to what the actual speakers would cost with what you have into your R series already..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Be sure to look at the specs of both drivers before you just "drop them in". You may need to do some x-over modification. Can I ask WHY you want to change the drivers out? Is it because they look nicer, or is it because you think they sound better? You'll also have to consider that changing bass drivers may require volume changes, port tuning, stuffing....a big mess. Not like just changing out the tweeters or something.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you are looking at converting your speakers I would most definetly give Ken a call at Polk customer care. I converted my RT55 to a 55i and he was really helpfull. Faster is right that to properly convert your speakers and ensure a good match the crossover will probably need swapped out also.

BTW, who cares about the cost if its what you want to do... plus you have some extras to play with or trade.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo

BTW, who cares about the cost if its what you want to do... plus you have some extras to play with or trade.

HBomb

True
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • tony.king
    tony.king Posts: 4
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm looking for an improvement in sound, definitely. After hearing my new CSi30 compared to the R15s used as a center channel I want the best sound possible but at a cheaper price. I was recently scammed out of $731.00 for a pair of RTi70s + CSI40 on E**y, I just filled out a Fraud reimbursement form last night. It is an expensive hobby but I'm looking for the cheapest way out this time.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tony.king
    I was recently scammed out of $731.00 for a pair of RTi70s + CSI40 on E**y, I just filled out a Fraud reimbursement form last night. It is an expensive hobby but I'm looking for the cheapest way out this time.

Sorry to hear about that... I hope you recover some of your losses.

I would definetly call Polk and get some advice. Ken knows his stuff and will direct you toward the most cost effective path possible.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***