Subwoofer Wiring

Options
brianc222
brianc222 Posts: 2
I'm new to the forum so be gentle.

I just purchased a new PSW 404 Sub with the RM6700 satellites. The owners manual seems to discourage the use of the RCA coax connection however everything I've seen here seems to indicate it's a standard setup.

What's up?

(I've been a Polk devotee since the mid 70's... back when many never even heard of the company)
Post edited by brianc222 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2003
    Options
    this is probably the number one question in here.. how do I wire my sub. YOu can do a search in the forum files.. and probably find the correct answer. Or just wait.. the people here are very helpful.

welcome to the forums. You'll have fun here. I do.

In a standard set up... you would hook up your sub from the subwoofer output on the rear of your receiver. The sats from the other speaker terminals. etc.

This isn't the only way of course.. but it really is the easiest to do.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Most AVRs lack the option to select a 120-140 Hz crossover to the sub. So you are virtually forced into a speaker level connection.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • brianc222
    brianc222 Posts: 2
    edited June 2003
    Options
    thanks gang...but I'm still confused.

Do I follow the Polk instructions or not? Is there an advantage to hooking up the coax or am I OK with the speaker wire hookup.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2003
    Options
    try the coax
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If your AVR has the capability of selecting at least a 120 Hz crossover to the sub (preferably 130-140 Hz), then try the sub cable method, as it does have benefits over speaker level.

If your AVR does not have this capability, then you are forced into speaker level connection.

Those tiny sats simply lack the bass handling and extension capability to use a more standard 100 or 80 Hz crossover to the sub. If you do this it will create a hole in the FR from 140-100/80 Hz. You might also blow the sats.

Doc

SVS
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Although anything is possible, it's highly unlikely that the 6700's will be blown considering that they have an internal x-over at 150Hz within each sat speaker. You can see a bit more on how to configure the 404 sub using speaker level inputs by checking out this thread from a few days ago.

PSW404 adjustments-2chan-music only

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX
    Although anything is possible, it's highly unlikely that the 6700's will be blown considering that they have an internal x-over at 150Hz within each sat speaker. Tony

Ahh......so Polk saw fit to install a high pass filter inside each sat to avoid damage. Convenient and smart. Thanks, Tony.

Well that pretty much cements it - if the internal sat filter is rated at 150 Hz, I know of no AVR that can select a sub crossover that high. Speaker level it is.

Doc

SVS