hummmmm.....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited December 2001 in Technical/Setup
I have noticed a slight hum in my main speakers when they are on and nothing is playing. I hadn't really noticed it before, possibly not paying attention I suppose.

I have gone through and gotten the speaker wires as far away from power cables etc and as straight as possible....They are cheap wires so that may be it BUT IT IS DRIVING ME EFFING NUTS because I can't seem to stop it...

any ideas??

Troy
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hi Troy:

What kind of speakers do you have, and what are they connected to?

Gary
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Have you tried unplugging every component one by one to see if it's another components causing it? Unplug your coax cable TV cable as well. Worst case scenario just tell Wendi you need to go get a line conditioner. :D

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I've got RT7's connected to a Carver m1.5t connected to a Denon 1800 reciever. That's my next move, I'm sure it's interferrence from something, I just got to figure out where, and the way I've got it set up, it is a HUGE pain in the butt to unhook everything.

Troy
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I would also HIGHLY recommend having dedicated circuits for the amp. My PM-1.5T and PM-1200 are on "amp only" circuits rated at 20 amps each and it is as quiet as can be.

Clean power does wonders for amps, especially the type Carver has.

Joe:p
  • lbrenner
    lbrenner Posts: 33
    edited December 2001
    Options
    It's more likely hum is coming from the amp rather than the speaker wires. If the volume control on the receiver affects it, it's likely coming from the receiver or a component plugged into the receiver. If not, does powering off the amp kill the hum? Then it may be in the amp. (If so, try using the amps in the receiver for comparison.)

I've had good luck just reversing the way various components are plugged into the AC (the ones without 3-prong or polarized plugs, of course) one at a time to reduce hum, too. (If you've got any florescent lights nearby, see what happens when you turn them off.)

If any of your components have separate ground posts, try connecting them together, too. My turntable is like that, and it hums (despite the shielded cable grounds) noticeably without doing this.

Good luck with this problem. Don't feel bad that it's driving you nuts... You're not alone!
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Hey Troy,

Didn't you just recently get that Carver amp? Did you notice any hum before? I'm curious, because I'm looking to get an amp similar to that, and I plan on feeding it the pre-out signal from my Denon receiver until I can pick up a good preamp. So if you've uncovered an "issue", I'd like to know.

I don't have any problems with hum in my system, but I am considering running a dedicated power circut for the system.

Jason
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Jason,

Yes, even without the amp I have the hum. I have frigged with this all weekend. Also, if you increase the volume, them hum stays the same. So, I am sure it isn't the addition of the amp.

The only reason I noticed it is that I was in the garage the other day and I turned on the garage rig (old Marantz 2215 reciever and Pioneer CS-88A's) and noticed the lack of a hum.

I am putting a line conditioner on my X-mas list and some good cables and interconnects, I am hoping that will do it.

Anyone have a suggestion for line conditioners??

Troy
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2001
    Options
    do you have a cordless phone or cell phone close by ?
    just a thought
    my cell phone will make my speakers hum if i am too close to them
    i can understand the frustration, i feel for ya
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Cell phone? SHEET NO!

Cordless?, yes.

The only thing on that circuit is the HT rig, cordless phone and a lamp......

The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

Troy
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Maybe you need a new non-humming receiver! Or better yet, how about those cool non-humming Maggies!

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Ground loop issue anyone?

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    ...talk to me...

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2001
    Options
    (Summary as posted by Ken S. some time ago)

You might be experiencing a "ground loop" caused by something in your audio/video system not being at the same ground potential as the receiver/amp. Prime suspects are any cable TV feeds or a satellite dish signal. The way to determine the cause is to remove all of the audio and video inputs coming into your receiver/amp/pre. Leave the FM antenna connected and all of the speakers, there shouldn't be any humming. Then gradually add the video connections, something will cause the humming. Once you determine which one it is there are "ground loop isolators" (Jensen Transformers are prob the best), and these can be picked up in Polk store and on the web.

(End Ken S. nfo)

I have also heard of outlets not being grounded properly, but I'm no electrician....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I don't have the cable running in to the receiver, it goes to the back of the TV (that way Wendi doesn't have to fool with the receiver to watch TV). I will unhook everything and hook it up a piece at a time. Could it be that I have the cable and my speaker wire running parallel? I don't really have anyway around that.

I'll let you know what I come up with....

Troy
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Has anything changed? Christmas stuff plugged in on the same circuit?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jcaut
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Even if you don't have the cable or any video stuff running to your receiver, it can still cause the hum if you've got the audio output from your TV or VCR connected to the receiver. It's likely that the shield on the coax and the shield on the audio outputs are connected.

The hum could just be originating in your receiver. That's what got me down on the Sony ES that I had for a while. It would hum with nothing at all connected, even listening with headphones. My Denon is very quiet, however.

Good luck!
    Jason
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    It is the amp, after all. I could have sworn that I had already checked that.

Anyway, so now I know it is the amp, what can I do to fix it??

Troy
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    I talked with Senor Grand last evening and apparently the hum is something that is inherent to Carver amps (at least those he has heard). So that makes me feel better.

BTW, jcaut, it doesn't seem to affect the performance, as soon as a signal is received either it goes away or I can't hear it so I wouldn't let that stop you.

Troy
  • jcaut
    edited December 2001
    Options
    Good, I'm glad you found out what it was. I'm in the process of trying to run a seperate electrical circut for my A/V equipment. Now if someone could just point me in the direction of one of those working, $60, Carver amps!
  • TroyD
    edited December 2001
    Options
    yeah, no kidding.

Actually, I have seen some on ebay go fairly reasonable of late.

Troy
  • gajvalli
    gajvalli Posts: 2
    edited December 2001
    Options
    This is a common problem mainly due to cable or any other device. This generally arises when you put in your cable into the receiver.

You will need to add a ground loop isolator inbetween the cable and the reciever..your polk manual has details or you can check on the polk website itself..
    Gajvalli
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2001
    Options
    You might be able to run a seperate ground wire from the chassis of the Carver to another known ground. I'm thinking turnable grnd. on your receiver. Otherwise the center mounting screw on the wall outlet usually works.

This doesn't always do it, but it's worth a try.
    Make it Funky! :)