Rotel firmware uprade

Options
gshisme
gshisme Posts: 1,038
edited May 2003 in Electronics
Polkatese, Mantis, Tony, other Rotel owners, have any of you guys performed a firmware uprade to your receiver or Pre? Are there any tricks to it or is it pretty straight-foward? Gonna see if I can borrow the cable from my dealer instead of purchasing the thing. I found some info in the Rotel forum but just curious what members in this forum have to say. The way Tony explained it to me I have version 2.2 or 2.22 and dated Sept. 5, 2002. There have been a few updates since my version and wondering if the latest update will cover all of them? Thanks in advance guys.

Love my Rotel seperates! Next are the LSi's then a SACD/DVD-A player then a......Jeez....can't stop this truck!
suds, suds and more suds!
Post edited by gshisme on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Greg,
    you can also make that cable for less than $15, if you have network (RJ-45) lying around, and DB-9 (you can get it from Ratshack). The process is very straight forward. I had upgraded mine twice. I happened to have the latest for your 1066, if you need them, or your can also downloaded from Club Rotel's Andrew Pratt homepage. The update is cumulative, so you just need to do the latest one, and it will cover all.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    polkatese, Thanks man. Will download from Andrew's home page.
    As far as the cable..I'm much better at plugging them in than I am making them..think I'll keep it that way for now.
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Greg, btw, the latest software for yours is ver 2.25 dated 2/25/2003. Have fun!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,

Gonna hold off on the uprade thing for now. I too am starting to experience the "popping" noise that is posted in the Club Rotel forum so I will wait and see what happens with that. E-mailed Tim Wyatt and he is supposed to respond via telephone. Wondering if you or any other Club Polk forum members have experienced this. Other than that the Rotels kick ****! BigTime!
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Greg,
    I thought the latest firmware is supposed to soften the pops? I've been using my Rotel for mainly 2ch audio, with occasionally watching DVD movie on it. I haven't really experiencing the popping, I know it exists more prevalently on the 1066 units. Let me see if I can replicate the pops on the 1065...
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ghsisme,

I don't know if this cable would work, but I have a DB-9 to RJ45 cable that may work with your system. it's actually a cable that came with a Cisco Switch, but I would imagine that the cable configurations are the same. If you want it, it's yours......just pay for shipping.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Polkatese,

Tomorrow I am going to isolate the 1066 from all components but one...one at a time and see if there is a conflict with one in particular. Tim Wyatt is supposed to get back to me and I will give him my results. The Rotel engineers seem to be baffled by this popping thing so any feedback to them is a help. Last resort I guess would be to replace the unit with a new one and see what happens. Well s*^t..there goes my cable management. The question of the popping has been brought up in the Rotel forum concerning the 1065 so your results would be greatly welcome. It seems to be more pronounced with the 1066 however.

Hey man, have a great weekend.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I get a few strange clicks and pops out of mine, but honestly it doesn't happen often enough for me to care about. I think most people complain about the popping when the unit switches between sources. My 1055 does not pop (or at least I don't know what these other guys are refering to which is even better).

I upgraded my Rotel firmware within the first week of having the unit. I went from v1.4.3 to v1.4.9 in one jump just to get rid of the very annoying "REC OUT" source on the display. Now is shows the volume which is more appropriate IMHO.

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    brettw22,

Let me check on that. If it works that would be great. Thanks!!

edit..brettw22, thanks anyway but tony's setup using the phone cord sounds like an idea. It may not look pretty when I'm done but it should work. I found everything I need in my junk box so it is just a matter of cutting and soldering.So much for not making my own cable!
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    ghsisme,

I don't know if this cable would work, but I have a DB-9 to RJ45 cable that may work with your system. it's actually a cable that came with a Cisco Switch, but I would imagine that the cable configurations are the same. If you want it, it's yours......just pay for shipping.

The pin out needs to be special....

If you're looking at a RJ45 (or RJ11) jack wire side up, prong facing away from you, Pin 1 starting with the left (usually Orange-White):
    • RJ45 Pin 3 needs to go to RS232 Pin 2,
    • RJ45 Pin 5 needs to go to RS232 Pin 3,
    • RJ45 Pins 4 & 6 need to go together to RS232 Pin 5

I made my own upgrade cable with an extra phone cord laying around and a serial to PS/2 mouse adapter out of the junk bin in the closet.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I went from v1.4.3 to v1.4.9 in one jump just to get rid of the very annoying "REC OUT" source on the display. Now is shows the volume which is more appropriate IMHO.
    [/B]

Man oh Man I can't wait to uprade just to get rid of that display! Will see what happens with my poppin thing first. From what I read the upgrade doesn't rid the problem.

On the UP side I had the rotel and RT's "gettin it on" at about volume level 65. Any louder and my ears would have burst but the sound was distortion free with no screemin and the bass was just kicken **** and I had the biggest damn smile and.........
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Greg,
    you too have a great weekend....
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    Greg,
    you too have a great weekend....

And not me? :( Nah, it's gonna be a great one for me. Got a few little projects up the sleeve. But gotta take care of the woman tonight ;)

Tony
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    for the money, seems rotel would take care of problems they have with thier gear?? That firmware doesnt seem to fix.. i would shy away from rotel after this post purely because i wouldn't wan't pops or wrong displays and stuff. That is just me though I have heard they have great gear and have never listened first hand but why deal with crap weather it's once a week or a day..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • polkatese
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX

And not me? :( Nah, it's gonna be a great one for me. Got a few little projects up the sleeve. But gotta take care of the woman tonight ;)

Tony

oops, you too Tony! don't want to miss any of my Rotel brotha! yea, take care of your woman, especially since you've been playing with your significant other (Mr. MagicPower and Ms. Analog Two) :lol::lol:

For me, I am taking the wife to see Keanu
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese

For me, I am taking the wife to see Keanu

:lol: Yeah you too... we're gonna do Keanu Part I tonight to remind her about the concept....we'll do Part 2 tommorrow.
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    for the money, seems rotel would take care of problems they have with thier gear?? That firmware doesnt seem to fix.. i would shy away from rotel after this post purely because i wouldn't wan't pops or wrong displays and stuff. That is just me though I have heard they have great gear and have never listened first hand but why deal with crap weather it's once a week or a day..

Don't get me wrong here. The Rotel was great out of the box. I only upgraded the firmware because I could... plus they added some additional features to the Bass Management setup. Who else wouldn't want that? As for the popping, I don't have it, but I've heard some folks complain about it. However, this is not just a Rotel issue, other manufacturers have this problem too. If memory recollects, Marantz and Sony ES are affected by this too. The solution is to increase the delay between when the AVR locks onto the signal and makes the speakers active. I also doubt if anyone would really notice these small nuances in gear if there weren't forums where people implant ideas into the heads of others with the "What Ifs". Besides, Rotel backs there stuff up, and if Greg ain't happy, he can get a new reciever by picking up the phone and calling his dealer for a swap-out.

As for the display, there was nothing "wrong" with it in the first place. Rotel just made a call on what they though should be shown on the display but seems that not everyone liked there call so they changed it to fit the request of the users....

Tony
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options

But gotta take care of the woman tonight ;)

Ah Yes!! first things first..Tony, you and your woman have a great weekend. Hell every forum member have a damn great weekend. Except of course for Wangotango...or whatever his user name is..hope it rains on his parade for many moons to come.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options

The solution is to increase the delay between when the AVR locks onto the signal and makes the speakers active. I also doubt if anyone would really notice these small nuances in gear if there weren't forums where people implant ideas into the heads of others with the "What Ifs". Besides, Rotel backs there stuff up, and if Greg ain't happy, he can get a new reciever by picking up the phone and calling his dealer for a swap-out.

As for the display, there was nothing "wrong" with it in the first place. Rotel just made a call on what they though should be shown on the display but seems that not everyone liked there call so they changed it to fit the request of the users....

Tony

Tony your remedy would seem to be a valid one except that this "poppin" only happens when the unit is powered on more than 15 or 20 minutes.

Faster
    If I had to purchase seperates over again I don't think I would change anything. I am quite happy with the Rotel Pre and Amp and yes Rotel support is great that is why I wish to give them as much information as I possibly can by going through the process that I am concerning the popping. I was kinda hoping people wouldn't get the wrong idea why I was posting this subject. Was just curious as to whether other members had this problem and if they may have had a solution. If everyone was quiet as to any problems nothing would get remedied. And yes my dealer offered to swap for a new unit but I thought I would go through a trial and error procedure first and use the swap as a last resort.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    NO i am glad people like you come forward with known problems, however if they offered a replacement then why keep a broken per say item, and try and remedy it yourself, second unit does the same thing then that's a different story.. If you bought a speaker and it didn't work you would return it, usually....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2003
    Options
    do you like your rotel pre? now that i just ordered my 7 channel amp i want to get a good pre. my gola is to save up by fall enough to get the pre. i am looking at them. adcom is very limited on their documenting and dont know if they do dts es and dd ex

rotle looks like it dues dts es but not dd ex.
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Rotel 1055 and 1066 will do DD EX...

rotel-formats-closeup.jpg
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    faster, like tony pointed out, this isn't isolated to the Rotel. there seems to be quite a few manufacturers that have the same situation, so i am just curiuos to find out if indeed it is the Rotel and not the panamax, or the Echostar 600 or my house circuitry or the fact that the sub is on a seperate circuit and not through the panamax or....you get the idea. anybody can fix something if they know what is wrong...it is the troubleshooting that is the challenge. and there it is...The Challenge!

goingganzo, just ask any rotel owner and you will get the same answer..Buy It!! That is what Mantis told me, just Buy It and that is what I did and I'll tell you it exceeded my expectations by far..no lie. i was using the H/K 320 as a pre before I purchased the Rotel and the Rotel just blew it away. i listened to the first ten minutes of **** three times because I was so blown away with the car chase scene and the sounds and noises that I didn't hear before. I'm not that familiar with the other make processors so I can only speak for the rotel. You can't go wrong.

Hell enough of this...I'm just rambling on now.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    NO MORE POPPING!!! Will wait a couple of days to post my diagnostics and results but the Rotel is 100% not the culprit. Damn I'm like a pig in the mud right now!

Happy Holiday!!!!!!!
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey Rotel owners, My 1065 so far dosnt have the popping noise I have read so much about. I have the software version 1.5.5 & just upgraded to 1.5.6 this past weekend & as far as I can tell I still dont have the dreaded poping. The reciver is great it blows me away every time I listen to music or watch a movie! Got the rotel controler software to control my rec from my laptop! Cool Program. The upgrade was very easy & went very smooth, I had no problems!
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Well,,,, after I thought I cured the popping...it was back the next day. There goes my ego! Anyway I swapped it out for a new unit and three days later still NO POPPING. Just a note.