Let's talk horror!!!

Options
zombie boy 2000
zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
edited October 2008 in Music & Movies
I absolutely love me some horror flicks. Slasher, gothic, classic, B-movie, grindhouse, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, zombies:eek:, come one, come all.

So many to choose from, but I have to list some of my personal favorites as Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original), Dawn of the Dead (original), Dead/Alive, Dracula (Bela Lugosi) and Cabin Fever.

With Halloween just around the bend, what are some of your faves?
I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
Post edited by zombie boy 2000 on

Comments

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hot Fuzz....hilarious zombie bloodfest!
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The Coen Brothers film? I don't know if I would consider that "horror" - even though the last scene with the dying man and the faucet was kinda creepy.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited October 2008
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    Hot Fuzz....hilarious zombie bloodfest!

Don't you mean Shaun of the Dead? Hot Fuzz was made by the same guys (not the Coens, zombie boy, it was Simon Pegg et al) but wasn't about zombies (I don't think).

The Shining still freaks me out quite a bit (and yes the book is 10x scarier but still).
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    He originally listed Blood Simple before he edited his post. Trust me... I know Shaun of the Dead:p
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hahah, of course, with a name like zombie boy... how silly of me. ;)
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I would expect you to be just as well-versed with What About Bob?:D

You're right about The Shining. The twins in the hallway is one of the scariest images of all time. And to think King thought Kubrick butchered his book and actually preferred the made for TV drivel from about ten years ago.
  • bobman1235
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I would expect you to be just as well-versed with What About Bob?:D

You're right about The Shining. The twins in the hallway is one of the scariest images of all time. And to think King thought Kubrick butchered his book and actually preferred the made for TV drivel from about ten years ago.

I love Stephen King books, but the guy has no sense when it comes to movies. Every adaptation he has been a part of, save very few gems (Shawshank, Stand by Me) have been DISASTERS. That miniseries of the Stand took one of my favorite novels of all time and turned it into a 4-hour trainwreck. Every time I see a decent adaptation of a Stephen King book (say, Pet Semetary, which was pretty scary) I just assume he didn't write the screenplay.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Funny you should mention it, but I think the sister in the attic scene in Pet Semetary is also one of the scariest ever committed to celluloid.
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 930
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Lon Chaney as the wolfman, classic, also the Invisible man with Claude Raines, love old classics
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2008
    Options
    My kind of horror is True Blood (on HBO). scary and yet sexy. :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The Changeling with George C. Scott is still my favorite horror film of all time. I prefer unnerving horror with some subtlety to the slasher/gore variants of the genre. That said, John Carpenter's The Thing is one that will never be bested by modern CGI.

Of recent films, I think Frailty is the most intelligent horror film I've seen. Guillermo Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone was excellent. And though the American remake was meh, the Pang Brothers' The Eye was an outstanding bit of horror. Contrarily, I think the American version of Ring was infinitely better than the original and made far more sense.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2008
    Options
    For classic horror I like the first 3 Friday the 13ths. The third was real cool in the theater:) I was about 12 when I got into them(1982)
    Cool thread.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Good call on The Thing. I read an interview with Clive Barker where he made a very interesting point about the scene where they draw blood. How could a series of simple needle **** generate so much tension and dread? It really cut to the core of something primal in his opinion.

I have to agree. And with that being said, that's why CGI is never necessary to generate a true scare.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    For classic horror I like the first 3 Friday the 13ths. The third was real cool in the theater:) I was about 12 when I got into them(1982)
    Cool thread.

That third one was in 3-D right? I remember the eye ball popping out through the screen. Don't ask me why my dad decided to torture his young son by subjecting me to this flick at such a young age. Sicko.
    Now that I think of it, I had to watch Jaws 3-D as well. I need therapy.
  • millerman 3732
    millerman 3732 Posts: 1,488
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Some of you may think its silly but the scene in The Ring, when the girl crawls out of the TV creeped me completely out, I saw The Ring in the theater when it first came out and I have yet to this day to watch it again.
    Casey
    H/T: Epson 6500ub
    Sony UBP-X800
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (HD-DVD, CD)
    Onkyo 805 (pre-amp)
    Outlaw 7125
    Polk RTi 10 (bi-amped)
    Polk CSi5 (bi-amped)
    Polk RTi6
    SVS PB 12 plus/2
    Velodyne SMS-1

TV Rig: Samsung 50'' 4k display
    Polk Signa-1 Surround bar
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That third one was in 3-D right? I remember the eye ball popping out through the screen. Don't ask me why my dad decided to torture his young son by subjecting me to this flick at such a young age. Sicko.
    Now that I think of it, I had to watch Jaws 3-D as well. I need therapy.

Yep thats the one! The eye ball was real funny, and the 3D did help with the unexpected things jumping out at you. I think that movie is up there with the most popcorn launched in a movie theater ever.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dholmes
    dholmes Posts: 1,136
    edited October 2008
    Options
    S Kings original tv version of Salems Lot,that kid floating outside the window!!
    My HT set-up Panasonic front proj, 120 in ws screen, ATI amp,Integra 9.8 pre-pro, 2 Polk rti150, cp 1000, 4 fx 1000, Pioneer blu-ray 2 SVS sub pb 12-ultra 2, & Paragon popcorn popper. ps 3 Coaster leather HT recliners.
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The leech scene in "Stand By Me."

UGH.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited October 2008
    Options
    End of, "The Ring" freaked me out! Had nightmares for several weeks... ehhh
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited October 2008
    Options
    "It's Alive" freaked me out as kid! "The Crawling Eye" gave me the willies too! "Prophecy, The Monster Movie" also gave the shivers as a kid. "Hell Raiser" is probably my favorite although "Re-Animator" and "From Beyond" are a lot of fun too!
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited October 2008
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Don't you mean Shaun of the Dead? Hot Fuzz was made by the same guys (not the Coens, zombie boy, it was Simon Pegg et al) but wasn't about zombies (I don't think).

The Shining still freaks me out quite a bit (and yes the book is 10x scarier but still).

Sorry, yes; I meant Shaun of the Dead. Duh.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I was the only male in my home with 4 females around 1995-1996. There's horror for you.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Re-Animator was priceless. "Herbert West has a very good head on his shoulders... and another one in a dish on his desk." Freakin' classic.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Brings back memories. Nice to see some of my all-time faves mentioned like The Changeling and The Shining. Re-Animator was hilarious, also loved the Evil Dead series for just pure schlock. And I loved Shaun of the Dead, what a fun movie!

And since this is an audio forum lets not forget the ridiculous over the top bass heavy DTS version of The Haunting.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The only horror movie I ever really liked was "Christine". It was just awesome all around! the story was cool, the screen play was well-written and for a horror movie, the acting was actually quite good. That and something about a red, possessed, 1958 Plymouth Fury that could fix itself and played Doo-Wop! It was surreal!

I'm not a huge fan of horror movies. I usually find them quite predictable. The only one so far that has thrown me for a loop was the original "Saw". It's been diluted through successive gore-fests with less than zero redeeming value. But the original "Saw" went down a path that no one had before IMO. However, the first time I watched it, I totally did not see that ending at all. James Wan is one twisted dude.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • George Grand
    edited October 2008
    Options
    When the ball comes bouncing down the stairs in The Changeling, if your hair doesn't stand up, you're not human.

I thought maybe you were on a roll until The Thing comment. John Carp's "Thing" is bested by the original friend.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I think Carpenter would probably agree with you. I like how he has it playing in the background during Halloween. Nice touch before he even attempted the remake.
  • daniel_paul_
    daniel_paul_ Posts: 189
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Some of you may think its silly but the scene in The Ring, when the girl crawls out of the TV creeped me completely out, I saw The Ring in the theater when it first came out and I have yet to this day to watch it again.

I always watch these moves and say "I would kick that monsters ****". But this scene let me know it would be my **** getting kicked. How would you begin to fight that.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I thought maybe you were on a roll until The Thing comment. John Carp's "Thing" is bested by the original friend.

Nonsense. I mean, I appreciate the original for what it is... but the two movies are different enough to be judged on their own merits. Carpenter's pseudo-remake has something going for it that the original doesn't - the mood and feeling of isolation. Not to mention some of the best effects in the history of horror movies, even in today's "we can do anything" CGI world.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • George Grand
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The original scared the piss out of any youngster that ever saw it. NO special effects.

I like Carp's movie. It is entertaining as hell. But being pre-teen during the 50's, the original is it and always will be.