What amp for a PSW1000 mod?

Options
mmadden28
mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
edited October 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
OK, mainly for DIY I picked up one of those PSW1000's on ebay with no amp. I'm expecting it on Monday.
What options do I have to power this thing?
I know I could prpbably do one of the Dayton sub amps.
Can I use a regular ext. amp? Except for XO and phase adjustments are the amps otherwise different?

Any suggestions on a good plate or ext amp to try with this?

Thanks

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
Post edited by mmadden28 on

Comments

• mmadden28
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Would this be a good match?
    HPSA1000 from Parts Express
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-808

Or perhaps this rackmount version? (If I sealed the back of the sub)
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-810

Would the stock amp that normally comes with it be better than above?
    Something else

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Those look like essentially the same amp with different packaging.Either would be an excellent choice.I'd chose the plate version if it matches closely with the box opening.

I can't comment on the stock amp as I have no info on it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I would measure the opening, and if the plate amp fits with little or no tweaking, go for it. I like plate mount amps as they aren't one more piece of equipment to deal with.
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2008
    Options
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Using a radar amplifier for a speaker?
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I think I'd save some money by going with a CW amp, they are 10KW. Lets see, 5KW per driver. That should work nicely.
    I don't think I could harness the 100KW of the radar amp, at least not with these drivers. :rolleyes:

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I'm just messing with ya.

I was actually trying to link an MRI amplifier, but gave up.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Doesn't the PSW1000 amp have a built in EQ?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Doesn't the PSW1000 amp have a built in EQ?

I picked up one of these for $100 to play around with. No amp.

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I like the stand alone Dayton sub amp. You could use it for another project down the road, and it would be handy to make adjustments. You can easily cut a piece of MDF to cover the amp hole.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mmadden28
    edited October 2008
    Options
    In the interim, could I use a regular 2 channel amp?
    Lets say I use the SMS-1 to handle the crossover stuff. Would that work or would the wattage of a reg amp be way too low?

How would I hook it up, there are two drivers? One to the left and one to the right amp outputs?? Or are sub amps completely different animals??

Wait a minute-There is a XO and volume panel on the front. Hmmm. Let me open her up and take a look. It just arrived this afternoon.

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2008
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    I picked up one of these for $100 to play around with. No amp.
    I'm just saying the factory amp has a built in EQ for flat response, something you won't get from a generic sub amp, that's all.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2008
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    Using a radar amplifier for a speaker?
    Sure that 6mhz-55mhz bandwidth is ideal for woofers.:D
    mmadden28 wrote: »
    In the interim, could I use a regular 2 channel amp?
    Sure
    Lets say I use the SMS-1 to handle the crossover stuff.
    Sure if it has an integral low pass filter.
    Would that work or would the wattage of a reg amp be way too low?
    Depends on the amp.
    How would I hook it up, there are two drivers? One to the left and one to the right amp outputs? Or are sub amps completely different animals??
    I assume the output of the SMS will be a summed mono signal,therefore use a Y adaptor to connect to both the left and right inputs of the amp.Then each channel of the amp will drive 1 woofer.If it were a big hi current amp that was stable into low impedances then bridging might be an option.
    Face wrote: »
    I'm just saying the factory amp has a built in EQ for flat response
    Yeah,If the stock amp has a specific non user adjustable EQ for the purpose of boosting the very bottom end then you will not be getting the full low frequency extension intended by the designer.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing