Mini Meet in Delaware and Annapolis

schwarcw
schwarcw Posts: 7,328
edited October 2008 in Gatherings & Special Events
I have been promising that I would visit my good friends Dipol Dan who recently located to Annapolis, right accross the street of the Navel Academy. And my good friend Joe (Hearingimpared). I have been promosing since last Spring that I would brin him a lovely Teac 4300 R2R that I refurbed and made to look shiny new. So, I was committed to visit Dan Saturday morning, go to Al's house, party a little shoot the breeze with all the best polkies in the world, then travel to Joe's. Our day began at 8:00 AM and ended at 2:00 in the morning.

Dan's wife Karen made us a feast of fried eggs, bacon, wheat and white toast with soft butter, We spooned homemade strawberry jelly onto the buttered cost and had at it. Yum! We washed it down with coffee and made our round around the campus. Check it out!

Monitor5s135.jpg
Too old to go back to school

Monitor5s132.jpg
Rich answer's to nature's call

Monitor5s139.jpg
Dan and I looking for a house to haunt

Monitor5s141.jpg
The Chapel is fabulous

Monitor5s143.jpg
Wow!

Cultural experience!
Carl

Post edited by schwarcw on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2008
    Very nice Carl. Glad you had a good time.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2008
    Saturday was jam backed with a lot of fun activities. Annapolis in the morning, Al Ballard's house in the afternoon (great place) then off to Joes for an evening of rock, jazz, classical, you name it, it was on. Joe went out of his way to prepare some great food. Phyllisann wasn't there so we did some strange things in her foundations. Actually, all was well, limited traffic snarl the trip was fairly east. Joe's system is powered by the Musical Fidelity tube/SS hybrid amp. That's one baddddddd! amp

Check out some pics of me and my thugs::eek:

Monitor5s151.jpg
    Joe is appalled at some of Rich's recommendation

Monitor5s152.jpgJoe holding court lecturing on the sublties of the nedle and cartridges.

Monitor5s156.jpg The holy grain

Monitor5s157.jpgChillin

Monitor5s158.jpgBeached whales

Monitor5s159.jpgRich has wrestled on or two animals.

Fun stuff! Wish you could have been there
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2008
    The beer was drugged! The food was fantastic!

I didn't make my target weight for the fest, so eff it! Fat needs a home too.

Joe's system sounds mighty fine! ....for a VPI table.:D J/K Joe. That is one STELLAR setup man! Both vinyl and digital.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2008
    janmike wrote: »
    Very nice Carl. Glad you had a good time.

You stole the words out of my mouth. Very nice Carl.
    Ben:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,051
    edited October 2008
    Looks like a nice time. Finally some pics to go with the stories. I enjoyed meeting Dipole Dan. He is a true audio geek-LOL. He bought an old 150 year old house and his main concern is referbing it with his audio gear upper most in his mind. My kind of guy! ;)

Also I have to say Carl is a great guy. We had a lot of fun all weekend but especially Thursday night after he and Rich (SCompRacer) (who I've met a few times, even been to his house) picked myself and Polk65 (Steve) up at the airport.

Rich was driving, Carl was shot gun and Steve and I got to share the cargo area of the mini-van with a pair of Carver AL III's (all seats folded down). We sat Indian style on the floor and had to hang on for dear life while we tried to find my hotel.

Rich is the master of the U-turn and we did a lot of them. He also has a saying (as all Chicagoans do who drive in rush hour traffic) "not a problem" as we are weaving thru traffic like we knew where we were going. Everytime a difficult traffic situation came up Rich just said "not a problem" and went for it.

Hope to meet you again sometime Carl, you are welcome in our neck of the woods anytime.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2008
    I forgot to mention in my rush to get the post in place that the characters in the photo include Billy (LibertyC) he's the fair haired young man, Ed (Esavinon) is the handsome, dark haired man smiling in the kitchen photo, Joe (HearingImpared) is the scruffy, long haired, bug eyed monster, Rich (Scompracer) is the wellgroomed, man who drinks too much (JK). Some of you may recognize these hoodlums, we didn't appear in most of the galleries of Polkfest photos because we are not that photogenic or even interesting.:D;):eek:
    Carl

• analog97
    analog97 Posts: 328
    edited October 2008
    Joe,

That is one sweet look'n rig....except for the small knobs on the MF. They should be 2-3 times larger, and of course, belt-driven. :D
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2008
    Joe's rig is sweet. Man I miss listening to it.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2008
    No worries Brock! LOL Carl is Ichiban! (Although when awoken, he refers to 8AM as the middle of the night).:D

Gawd, I was jonesing for food after the delays Carl and I experienced on the way from PA. (An 18 wheeler failed to keep the shiny side up). We put that aside though, and our primary goal was shifted to rescuing two polkies trapped at the airport.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • schwarcw
    edited October 2008
    I should use "Spell Check" once in a while. WTF am I typing?
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited October 2008
    Well my internet is back up.

Polkfest was a great time and the after hours with Richie, Ed, Carl, and Billy was a gas (Ben don't take that personally:D).

Thanks to Billy for providing the snack and beverages.