Dayton Caps

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,092
edited October 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I need to make a fairly large order with Parts Express. Originally I wanted to try Clarity caps in my 5B's to replace the Solens on the high end. Well, I'm not ordering from 2 seperate companies and paying shipping twice.

So my choices are limited to what PE has and they don;t have Clarity caps.

Jantzen Cross cap--avoiding these only based on the review at Bumble Bee

The big question is are the Dayton PMPC caps worth twice what the Dayton DMPC caps are? Remember my 5B's are in an office rig and is a budget oriented set-up.

Also I want to attenuate the output of the RD0's slightly. They sound nice and smooth and open, etc. but they are a bit to out front. My 5B's are fused and use 2.0 ohm resistor which I replaced with the same value Mills. The polyswitch equipped 5B's use a 2.7 ohm resistor.

What value would one use to slightly lower the over all output of the tweeter? I was thinking 3.0 or 3.5 ohm; too much, too little?

Thanks

H9

P.s. I really only want to pull the x-over once if possible
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
Post edited by heiney9 on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2008
    Options
    http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-metallized-capacitors.cfm are the ones I have used.
    I think 1 ohm over stock would be fine.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,214
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Heiney, you might want to check around. I know that back in the spring of this year, there was a company that was selling the ClarityCap SA with free shipping.
    It was www.e-speakers.com Not sure if they still have that deal or not.

If not, then I'd stick with the regular Daytons. The 1% are not worth it IMHO.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2008
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    If not, then I'd stick with the regular Daytons. The 1% are not worth it IMHO.
    Why not, the price difference is minimal?

As for the resistors, it can't hurt to order a few values to play with, they will probably come in handy for another project.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche