To: Al Ballard and Hedy Klopfer

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited October 2008 in Gatherings & Special Events
A million thanks for being the greatest host and hostess. To open up your home the way you did, and the lush spreads you provided throughout the day, was the absolute greatest. I can't thank you enough and I'm so glad I attended.

Hedy and Al have a beautiful home in a very nice neighborhood. When I first got to the backyard, Al told me the chances were pretty good that the most centrally located tree would probably drop an acorn type thing right on my head. About 10PM, centered directly on top. Hurt like a SOB.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited October 2008
    Many thanks to Al and Hedy for opening their home up to all of us. They have a beautiful home and a great back yard. A awesome spread from a local favorite restaurant, Bill Batemans, which included one of my favorites Old Bay Wings.

I got clocked/annointed square in the head by one of those acorns @ 3 in the afternoon.

It was a real treat to meet all the members and Polk Audio could not have treated us any better. Especially Brett.

Thanks again, can't wait to do it again.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited October 2008
    I'd like to also chime in and say thank you.

It was very generous and brave of you and your wife to host this event. :)

The food and hospitality could not have been any better. And as mentioned above, you have a beautiful home and many thanks for your generosity, and the incredible time!

Mike
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited October 2008
    I also would like to add my thanks to our gracious hosts.

PolkFest was more than I could have imagined, and I encourage all who did not get to attend this year to do their level best to make it to the next one, whenever that may be.
    You will not be disappointed.

Harry
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2008
    One more thanks post; I hope we didn't break anything. I had a wonderful time. I sneaked out early last night to get some sleep before my 8 hours drive back. Just got home.

What a great Polkfest!!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited October 2008
    Hedy and Al,

A big huge THANK YOU for opening your house to all us crazed Polkies. Well, actually I think we were all quite behaved. What a spread for both lunch and dinner. The catered Mexican food was outstanding as well as the beer choices. I hope you had some help cleaning up this morning.

Both rigs sounded great and you have a lovely home and certainly must have great neighbors based on the non-stop rocking and line of cars down the block and around the corner.

Couldn't have had a better time with better people. Hope to meet you again sometime.

Regards,

Brock
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited October 2008
    I got clocked/anointed square in the head by one of those acorns @ 3 in the afternoon.
    Scott

I'm glad I wore my hat. It was handy in deflecting the carpet bombing acorns.

Great Hosts, Great Food, Great fellow Polkies and a real good time!!! Thanks again Polk HQ for Friday and Hedy & Al for Saturday. I only hope I can do it again next year wherever it may be.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited October 2008
    Thank you both for putting up with us and opening your house. I enjoyed myself and was glad to meet all the other hacks. Nothing but top notch good times!!
    Thanks again to you both.
    Tip O' the hat!
    Lightman Russ
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited October 2008
    Was lucky not to get hit in the noggin with any acorns. What a great time is was. As I said in another thread huge thanks to Al and Hedy for opening up there home to us.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2008
    Al and Hedy were wonderful hosts! I ate too much, I drank just the right amount, got to hear the SRTs for the first time ("Transformers" is the type of movie that the SRTs were made for), spent time with old friends, met many new ones and enjoyed myself immensely.

THANK YOU!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2008
    /\ SRT's, not SRS'
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • shack
    edited October 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    /\ SRT's, not SRS'

Thanks Brett. My lack of sleep and the fact that I had to drag my **** back into work this morning has not allowed my brain to function properly. I have corrected my post.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2008
    I can't add anymore to what has been already said.

Thank you Hedy & Al for opening your home to us!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited October 2008
    I'll add my thanks as well. awesome party, awesome food. the Flan was to die for in perticular.

Al and Heddy were great hosts and thre a hell of a shindig.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2008
    Yes, many, MANY thanks for opening your home to everyone. I hope someone was able to put some kind of dent in that food supply. It was a grand setup!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2008
    Thanks Hedy and Al from Steve Disneyjoe7. What a heart felt welcome I felt from the both of them Thanks again.

And please if you're wishing Disney World PM me I love to return some of the heart felt welcome back too you. :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2008
    Let me also add my thanks to this list.

You have a beautiful home & your hospitality was simply outstanding, as was the food.

My brother & I enjoyed ourselves immensely! Thank you.

Cathy & Mark
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • George Grand
    edited October 2008
    A lot of their friends and neighbors were in attendance and they were also great folks. Did anybody else get a chance to talk to John and Ed, the two brothers running Soundscape? They took the store over from their father. They were the first Polk dealer. John explained to me that even though another store took delivery of Polk, or sold Polk first, John and Ed were the first vendors to PAY THEIR BILL, and in Polk's eyes that made THEM the first Polk dealer. Later in the evening I was talking to Ed and we got over to his collection of vintage JBL and Altec in his basement. Spent a great deal of time talking about 60's and 70's stuff. Great time!
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2008
    George, it was such a pleasure meeting you finally after so many years of chatting here. Mark & I had a ball talking to you!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • George Grand
    edited October 2008
    You were much different than I imagined and I didn't like you in person at all.

Only kidding. It was about time wasn't it? The pleasure was all mine. Mark appears like he's about the nicest guy in the world, and you were very cuddly.
  • chargerman426
    chargerman426 Posts: 419
    edited October 2008
    Thank you Hedy and Al once agin!!!! You have a great place. The food was amazing unfortunate I had to leave before dinner though but lunch was great. I had a great time talking to all the polkies. Hope to see you all agin.
    If life had more tubes it would be a lot smoother.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2008
    You were much different than I imagined and I didn't like you in person at all.

Only kidding. It was about time wasn't it? The pleasure was all mine. Mark appears like he's about the nicest guy in the world, and you were very cuddly.

I can attest to Cathy being cuddly firsthand. Mark is top notch.

And just FYI, Hedy is off limits....she's all mine. If I can only figure out how to get past Al being larger than me....
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    edited October 2008
    dorokusai wrote:
    And just FYI, Hedy is off limits....she's all mine. If I can only figure out how to get past Al being larger than me....

Dream on....YOU didn't get the special Hedy Headache Massage...AND I DID (and I didn't even have a headache). Even though I was first, Russ begged and she grudgingly gave him the "short" version.

• dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    I will find a way to slay you eventually.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2008
    It was my pleasure giving both you guys hugs!:D George it was WAAY past time!

Mark, you are very snuggle friendly & make a very GOOD head rest!:D You got up too soon though!

I could have very easily fallen asleep, even while listening to the SRT's rumble!:eek:
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I can attest to Cathy being cuddly firsthand. Mark is top notch.

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I saw Cathy and Doro getting 'intimate' during a listening session.

I became slightly aroused yet felt sketchy and foul at the same time. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ

(oh, btw Cathy, that wasn't 'Mark', he had a Signal Cable powercord stuffed in his undercrackers)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2008
    Thank GOD I wasn't drinking anything...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!:D

Was nice seeing you again too Russ. BTW I like the haircut.:)
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw Cathy and Doro getting 'intimate' during a listening session.

I became slightly aroused yet felt sketchy and foul at the same time. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ

(oh, btw Cathy, that wasn't 'Mark', he had a Signal Cable powercord stuffed in his undercrackers)
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2008
    The haircut makes him look months younger.

The Signal Cable Magic Power was a shortened version of the the normal 2M.
  • VSchneider
    VSchneider Posts: 443
    edited October 2008
    just another Thank you!

Meeting the Polkies and enjoying the hospitality of Hedy and Al's home was a great experience.

Oh and the SRT System room upstairs? I am speechless...
  • Beekyman
    Beekyman Posts: 150
    edited October 2008
    A BIG thanks to Hedy and Al for their hospitality. It was a pleasure to be able to see fellow Polkies in such a warm and comfortable setting while enjoying great food, audio , and laughs with everyone around.
    That tree in the backyard left me with a souvenier of sorts...upon my return home I noticed a few of those nuts had fallen into my jacket pocket! Perhaps I'll plant them and see if they sprout! If they do sprout then we might have the beginnings of a "Polk Fest Tree" :)
    2 Channel Rig
    Source 1 - Apple TV
    Source 2 - Parasound D3 Universal Player
    Source 3 - Parasound Tuner T3
    Pre-amp - Parasound HALO P3
    Amplifier - Parasound HALO A21
    Speakers - Martin Logan Vista
    Power Conditioning - Panamax M5100-EX
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2008
    I would like to add a belated thanks to al and hedy for allowing us miscreants into their home. Your warm and caring hospitality made polkfest 2008 a memorable one.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.