RS232 PC Control Software for Rotel RSP/RSX Owners

Options
TonyPTX
TonyPTX Posts: 545
edited May 2003 in Electronics
Folks, just found this thread in the HTGuide about some very cool Control Software that allows you to use the I/O port on the back of your unit to control your Rotel AVR from a PC. (In addition to being the firmware flash port.) The software mimics the most used functions of the remote control, along with a copy of what is currently being shown on the AVR's display. Happens to be very convenient for me since I usually have my back to the AVR while I'm at the PC and would have to turn around and pick up the remote to adjust something. Now it's just a click away. This Rotel 1055 has exceeded all of my expectations and everything else now is just icing on the cake....

Check out the pic for more cool details ;)
Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
Post edited by TonyPTX on

Comments

• gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Happens to be very convenient for me since I usually have my back to the AVR while I'm at the PC and would have to turn around and pick up the remote to adjust something. Now it's just a click away.

Tony had to laugh man. KMon, how much effort does it take to turn around! Sounds like a great idea if your computer is in the AVR's zone 2 room.
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm a geek.....what else more is there :D
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tony great tip! do you know if there is different software for the different models & did it take long to configure? Ive been very happy with my Rotel 1065!
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Should work fine for the 1065. The initial setup lets you chose out of a range of Rotel gear. Even some of the older stuff. Configuration was a snap, hook up the wire, pick an amp/pre-amp out of the list, and chose the correct serial port on the back of your PC that your cable is connected to. Hardest part was running the line when I made the orginal drop for the CAT5 a few months back.
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Settings Box.
  • ezc
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tony did you have to install the mscomm32.ocx driver? I got the driver but how do you register it with windows? AHHHHH This drives me NUTS!
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ezc
    Tony did you have to install the mscomm32.ocx driver? I got the driver but how do you register it with windows? AHHHHH This drives me NUTS!

To install, follow the instructions in the Readme file. I just put the mscomm32.ocx driver in the same directory as the RS232 software and opened a command prompt window and followed the instructions.

register it in Windows with the command "regsvr32 mscomm32.ocx"
    Attached here is a zipped copy of the file you need mscomm32.ocx.
  • ezc
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tony thanks for the info I couldnt figure out how to register it! Got it done. If I get home early Im going to try it!