Couple UK Mail Order music sites...

Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited May 2003 in Music & Movies
May not fit here, but in doing a little buying tonite I came across two I had not used before.

I’ve been using BMG and Columbia House for everyday, still in print stuff, and half.com, amazon.com and some amazon sub-stores for the harder to find releases.

Tonite I found:
http://www.bgo-records.com/page1.htm and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/
Both are UK sites and have stuff for which I’ve been looking.

The UK amazon site was a big surprise. Lists things the stateside site doesn’t have, and/or the same titles cheaper. Plus the shipping isn’t much more than domestic. I was alerted to this option in a review of It’s a Beautiful Day on “our” amazon site. I got “IABD” and “Marrying Maiden” from the UK for about half the cost of “IABD” alone here. It’s a better transfer than the CD available here and shipping comes to ~$5.

Who’d a thunk it???? :D
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Only CDs eh? No vinyl?

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Sometimes convenience and availability rule the day... oh yeah, and cost, too. ;)

Just so you don't lose your faith, I have bought about 60 albums in the past couple months on ebay. From Firesign Theater to Queen with a bunch of stops in between... (that was poetic). :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm still buying CDs too.

I've picked up a few records off ebay too. Yesterday, I bought Buffalo Springfield - Collection, it should be a good one. Last week, Neil Young, AC/DC, Zeppelin.

I still need to pick up a cart. What price range would be a good match for my Thorens? Will a $200 cart be overkill?

Derick.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    No, $200 is not too much and it does open up a couple more possibilities... I'll dig a little on the new ones later.

You open to used on ebay? A number of Shure V-15's, series III and IV, show up in the $100 area and a new stylus can be had for ~$90.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm little iffy on used carts. I don't really have a reference point to go by yet. Maybe for my second cart I'd consider used.

The reason I asked is, there's a couple or carts at my local shop. A cheap ortofon and shure around $60CDN, which works out to $40US. But there's also a $300CDN/$222US ortofon. I'm still not too sure on which one.

I was thinking of trying audioadvisor.com but I don't have a stylus gauge and whatnot to set it all up and my local shop offered to install the new cart.

Anyway, that's my situation.

• Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Understood...

Do look into a stylus gauge. Nice tool to have. The Shure SG2 is $20 US at AudioAdvisor.

I think someone on ebay is buying and reselling them and getting ~$30... tho I can't laugh too hard, cause I know I have overpaid for a few items myself...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli