dirty white speaker grills...

filleul
filleul Posts: 2
edited May 2003 in Troubleshooting
Could anyone suggest how to clean white speaker grills?
My LS-fx's are white and their speaker grills have turned greyish after 7 years... I guess I'd better stay away from bleaching them...
Some detergent maybe?
Post edited by filleul on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    I don't know how those grills are put together... but I have a pair of white M2s. The grills are perforated metal covered with cloth. I've found that a very mild soap/detergent solution and a soft toothbrush ... or a bit of upholstery/carpet cleaner, also with some sort of soft brush, does a pretty good job. If you press the cloth between soft towels when you're done it will help pick up a lot of the moisture. If they are really dirty or stained, you might try a little Resolve.

I've done the process a few times over the years. It.. and age.. have caused the cloth to lift up from the edge of the metal grill a little bit.. and I have to be careful installing them to make sure the material doesn't get folded back (the M2 grill edges slide into a crack all the way around).. but I take those grills off so rarely that it hasn't been a problem.

We have one M2 in the kitchen and it is ready for a cleaning now... the above process is what I'll use.

Don't expect it to come back to sparkling white, but I think you'll notice the difference easily.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Try a solution of hydrogen peroxide, or OxyClean (same thing). Should be able to simply soak them in the solution, rince and dry.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2003
    I'm thinking if that don't work,get some new white grill cloth and redue em.Fresh new look like new
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.