Hooking up my mains to the PSW450

Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
I hooked up my RM2600 mains to my PSW450 sub. I know it says it's not reccomended, but i'm in an apartment. I assume i'll never get the bass so low it will crack my mains....so I hooked it up to get more bass out of those speakers.

Good idea? or Bad?

I'm planning on getting new mains soon anyhow.....
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2003
    Probably not. If you need more bass out of the sats, you can wire it the "Polk" way (the reccomended way in the manual), and adjust the crossover as you see fit.

If you give the sats something around 40hz at 90dB, it wouldn't be hard to make them blow up.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Demi,
    Why did you wire that way?

rs,
    Now is that sig something the Amish would do? :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Actually....That's how you're supposed to hook them up according to the manual. You're just supposed to leave them on FULL RANGE rather than changing them to 80hz.

Tell me what i'm doing wrong......
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Anyone?

I'm a little confused by the PSW450 manual. In one spot it says hook the mains up to the sub for 2600 systems...and in another it says DON'T.

Which is it? I'm assuming they want you to hook up the mains through the sub ONLY if you keep it on FULL RANGE.

Someone out there MUST have this sub that could look this up and see what i'm seeing.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    The reason Polk recommends that hook-up method is because the sats are small and can only extend down to about 130 Hz before starting to roll-off. Many AVR's either have a fixed filter point, or a filter point selection that does not go that high. Therefore the Polk method actually has an advantage with small sats because the sub filter can be adjusted to match the high roll-off of the sats.

If you have larger speakers all around that can extend down to 50-60 Hz, then the speaks on small with a sub cable method wins because it places less demand on the AVR amp and is simpler to connect.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    So, you're saying I should go ahead and hook up my sat mains to my sub, correct?

Do I want 80Hz or Full Range selected?
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    If you hook up the mains to the sub, here's what you have to do:

sub = no
    mains = large
    all other speaks = small

run the wires from the AVR to the sub, and from the sub back to the mains

set the sub filter to around 130 Hz

calibrate all speaks and adjust sub volume to taste

SVS
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Thank you sir. I'll be a proud Denon AVR-3803 owner in due time as well. Too bad I couldn't buy that one for 675 that one guy was selling on here.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    One question - do you have the RM6200 or the RM2600 (of which I am not aware).

The reason I ask is not to expose a potential typo, but to make sure I didn't steer you wrong in my advice.

What is the frequency response of the mains you own - are they the small 6200 sats?

I love the 3803 - very very excellent performance.

Doc

SVS
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Yeah they are the 6200 sats...

How do I switch the subwoofer to'NO'?

Also...it only goes up to 125 hz on the PSW-450....
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    You should just hook it up line level (sub level) because your sats speakers go to just 130 hz. If you do this, you could set your mains to "large" and bass out to "both" if possible. You should get a good blend of bass from your sub and your sat speakers.....eventhough 130hz ain't that low for your mains. If I were you, I'd just hook it up sub level and set all to small and bass out to sub only and calibrate all of 'em.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Yeah, I don't know what you guys are talking about when you're talking about setting my mains to small and the rest to large...ect.

I don't know how the hell to do that. On the reciever? There is no option for that, that I can see.