5.1? Dts? :(

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
Ok guys...I know this sounds like a n00b question, but i'd really like a detailed response.

I have a DVD Player with DTS and an optical out.

I have a Reciever with DTS, DD, ect...and an optical connection.

I have a Monster TOS-Link optical cable and I have it connected from my DVD player to my Reciever.

Now...That should give me DTS when DTS is available, right?

Considering that I have an RM2600 speaker package with a PSW450 sub hooked up to the LFE input.

I'm not so sure i'm getting 5.1 because this is what crosses the screen when I start a movie:

Dolby Digital 3\2

.....???? I'm getting sound out of my sub, mains, center, and rears....That is 5.1 is it not? Am I doing something wrong?

Also...When I play a DTS movie i'm not getting the DTS icon...all I get in the OPT (optical) icon, and the Dolby Digital light is lit up. Do I have settings messed up or what?

Don't yell at me because I know I have a stupid **** Sony reciever. It should still work for 5.1 and DTS sound should it not?

I'm just frustrated...It sounds good, but to be honest I don't know the difference between 5.1, DTS, or DD....I'm new to actually having decent speakers.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Is it a DTS DVD? If you have an optical icon and DD icon then my guess is select DTS in the DVD's menu.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yes, it's a DTS DVD Player, and the DVD was U571. I've got like 10 DTS DVD's.....none of them 'seem' to work.

What would be the noticable difference?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Options
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Demiurge,

There is usually an "audio option" or "set up" menu's on the actual DVD disc's menu screen. You usually have to select the DTS audio track BEFORE you start the movie. If you have Gladiator I believe there is an "Audio setup" menu where you go in and select DTS then start playing the movie.

hope that helps...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tip:: I have found that sometimes go to the language menu, that will have like english 5.1 or DTS settings, also check the actual dvd setup menu, without a disk in the player enter the audio settings menu, and select bitstream or pcm, and enable Dolby digital and DTS, also make sure your receiver inputs are set for optical on for dvd input if your receiver has that setting.. that should take care of it, my friend has a sony lower line receiver and it has a blus light that lights when dts is working.. His receiver although was the hardest to setup and understand.. Very elusive manual and settings and not real user friendly.. unfortunatly

edit: If your a novice or new to all this you may not be able to detect the difference between Dolby digital and DTS, so i wouldn't try and judge by that.. wheather its working or not
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    also check the actual dvd setup menu, without a disk in the player enter the audio settings menu, and select bitstream or pcm, and enable Dolby digital and DTS, also make sure your receiver inputs are set for optical on for dvd input if your receiver has that setting...

Good advice Faster. I was going here myself. My only correction to your comment above would be:

Chose Bitstream if you're using an optical cable.
    Chose PCM if you're using a digital coax cable.

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • faster100
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TonyPTX

Chose Bitstream if you're using an optical cable.
    Chose PCM if you're using a digital coax cable.

Tony

Interesting, i didn't actually know this
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100

Interesting, i didn't actually know this

See, even a noob like me can teach and old dog a few tricks every once in a while.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Depending on the DVD player, you can also toggle through the 'Audio' button on the DVD remote, and it should flip between available audio tracks. Sometimes if I forget to hit DTS if it's available, or to bug my wife by putting it in Spanish 5.1, I'll toggle through while the movie is playing to hear the differences.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    that thing across the screen (....3/2) actually means dolby digital. the 3 is your front speakers...and the 2 is your rear surrounds. It should say that for dolby digital. Actually it should say dolby digital 3/2.1
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • TonyPTX
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Don't confuse the fact that just because something is Dolby Digital it is automatically "Surround" sound. The Dolby Digital logo just means that it's in Dolby's digital sound format. I have seen Dolby Digital 2.0 (stereo) and Dolby Digital 1.0 (Mono) before.
  • faster100
    edited May 2003
    Options
    YES!! My cable has digital music channels of all sorts and the dolby digital light lights up on my receiver but says 2\0 stereo DD.. so that is very true,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I think it's working. In the audio menu on the DVD it says:

Dolby Digital - 3/2.1

There are no other options on it for U-571. I'll try gladiator later.

Another question.

There is a 5.1 section with RCA jacks on my reciever. What would I hook those up to? Is that better than just running the speakers through my reciever?
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Demiurge

There is a 5.1 section with RCA jacks on my reciever. What would I hook those up to? Is that better than just running the speakers through my reciever?

Those are analog inputs, If your DVD player has the matching outputs you can use them for DVD-Audio and/or SACD (if you have an SACD player).

The U-571 disk does have the DTS option! At the main menu select "Languages," the next menu will give you the Audio playback options.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    According to the Panasonic Web Site you do not have a dvd player with a built in DTS decoder or a built in Dolby Digital Decoder. According to the link below your DVD player is equiped with an optical output that will send the DD or DTS signal to your receiver. The signals must be passed to the receiver to be decoded, provided that the receiver has the capablity to do so.

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11251&catalogId=11005&modelNo=DVD-CV52

I got the DVD player model number from your sig.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Well, it has the DTS icon on the DVD player....

My Reciever has this in black and silver:

dtslogo6.gif
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I understand, my point is that the DVD player itself is not doing the decoding, that is being handled (or should be) by your receiver. When you play a DVD with a DTS soundtrack, all of the decoding takes place in the receiver, so if you re having a problem being able to listen to DTS soundtracks, the problem may be with the receiver setup, not the DVD player itself.

Have you taken another look at the U-571 menus yet?
  • Frank Z
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I found this over at AVSforum, it might help.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258867