Slowly Upgrading....

Options
Demiurge
Demiurge Posts: 10,874
edited May 2003 in Speakers
Hey guys....

Most of you know that I just got my RM2600 and my PSW450...

I am planning, however on replacing the speakers, DVD player, and Reciever slowly. I'm going to take my old DVD player, speakers, and reciever and eventually put it in my bedroom while I build up my main system.

This is going to be a slow process, and i'm in no rush. I want to take my time and do this right. I'm a young guy, 23, and I want some mid-upper line polk speakers for the future. So, I want something decently affordable. What do you guys reccomend? What speakers have you guys found to work the best together? I know there are going to be differing opinions all over the place, but I'm sure we can come to a consensus.

What would be the first upgrade you guys would make to your system? Speakers? DVD? Reciever? Pre-Amp?

Which speakers first? Mains? Center? Rears (obviously last)?

I'm pretty impressed with Denon's products. What are you guys most impressed with? I'm a little afraid of Pioneer's stuff...just because of their bad reputation with their lower end stuff. Do you guys reccomend all the same brand when dealing with the equipment end of it?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S - I hope to have a difinitive list by the time this discussion is over...So I can start planning my method of attack. :D
Post edited by Demiurge on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited May 2003
    Options
    RTi70 Mains, CSi40 Center, RTi38 or the upper FX series. Your choice. Adcom Pre, Adcom Amps.

Personally, I would get a preamp, and amps. Then upgrade da speakers. Then the DVD Player. Pioneer Elite is awesome. Pioneer (the bottum of the line sucks). Pioneer Elite makes fine products. I use a Pioneer Elite receivers as a pre, with Adcom amps. I hear Pioneer Elite DVD Players are good also, the High Gloss black finish rocks.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I have a Denon 3803 hooked up to RTi38 front L/R, CSi40 front center, and RTi28 L/R surround and could not be happier. The sound is just awesome. I compared the Denon 3803 to Onkyo and Yamaha and chose the Denon.

The Denon 3803 has a very nice video signal upconversion feature and it has a 100 MHz component video bandwidth for HDTV.

I would highly recommend Denon.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2003
    Options
    you might want the lsi9 lsc and maybe a set of lsi7 if lsfx for suround. it would not be that much more than the 70/40/fx50 but you have ti upgrade your recever to a pre pro first.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm seriously considering going with that Denon you reccomended. Do you think thats the first upgrade I can make? I personally think my reciever is my weakest component thus far. The DVD player isn't great, but it's not bad either.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Perhaps you should wait a while before upgrading your speaks. There will be a new line of RTI's for 2003. A reciever and speaker wire is a good start in upgrading. If and when you decide to upgrade your sub..check here first. www.svsubwoofers.com They have some serious backing amongst forum members. If you're looking for something quick to do on your sub, carpet spikes are an option. (if you have carpet) Good luck!!
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Well, I've already got good speaker wire....and I don't know why i'd want to upgrade from a PSW450 after I just bought one. I think that would be the LAST upgrade i'd ever make on my system.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Demiurge
    ....and I don't know why i'd want to upgrade from a PSW450 after I just bought one.

This is exactly what I've wondered about why you would do with your speaker system. I forget, how long have you had the speakers?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Note the "if and when". You could always add another 450. Stack em'.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I've had the speakers for like 2 weeks. Like I said. I just wanted the surrounds to have a decent surround system. Those speakers will eventually be put into a smaller room. So...It's not like I wasted the money on the RM2600's. They are being put to good use now, and will be put to good use on another system in the future.

So..If and when I get my Denon AVR-3803....my sony will go to my smaller system in my room. Everything will be getting replaced other than the Sub...and if it was going to be replaced...it would obviously be the last upgrade.
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Sorry Liquid. Sometimes I only read what I want to. ;)

I'll check out your reccomendations for sure tho. :)
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm seriously considering going with that Denon you reccomended. Do you think thats the first upgrade I can make?

The Denon AVR-3803 plus a good center, such as the CSi30/CSi40, would be my first upgrade for for watching movies.

Then get timbre matched front L/R speakers such as RTi38 bookshelves or RTi70 towers.

I would upgrade the surround speakers last. I think your PSW450 sub is just fine.

Be sure you are running 14 gauge wire or larger to your surround speakers. The longer the runs the larger the wire you need. I'm running 14 gauage all around including to my fronts and center.

Have fun.
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Get three RC85i and two RC65i. "In-wall" baby ...... yeah! Go Plasma while your at it.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I can't get inwalls.

I'm in an apart.