Free Sda Srs 1.2tl

Options
Dennis1188
Dennis1188 Posts: 11
edited May 2003 in Speakers
I just picked up a pair of free SDA SRS 1.2 TL polk speakers! I helped the old man next door load up the moving truck and he in turn gave me these speakers for FREE. They look of high quality and I am still trying to get over the huge size and weight but I think they will sound great in my family room. They are in mint condition.

Can you guys help me out with a couple of questions?

1- Can you recommend a reciever?
2- How much power?
3- What is Bi-Amp
4- Does anyone have a copy of the manual?

Thanks,
Dennis
Post edited by Dennis1188 on

Comments

• SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited May 2003
    Options
    FREE? Are you serious? :confused: Congrats!

The SDA's love as much clean power as possible. It really makes a difference. My Carver is rated at 375 wpc @ 8 ohms and the SDA's inhale those watts without so much as a hiccup! :)
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2003
    Options
    First of all, your a lucky ****

Receiver - not recommended, but if you must get a high current design type, Rotel, NAD, Harman Kardon, I would not recommend Yamaha Sony or Onkyo.

A pre amp and a BIG amp is better for this speaker.

Power - As much as you can afford

Bi-amping is using two amps on a pair of speakers, either one stereo amp for the tweeters, and a second stereo amp to drive the woofers OR one stereo amp per speaker, one channel to the tweeters and one channel to the woofers.

Manual - maybe somebody here can PDF it, or call Ken S. at Polk Customer Service

Enjoy, where are you located?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Dennis1188
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I am very serious, all they cost me was a couple of hours of sweat. I still can not believe it, I'm one lucky guy.
  • Dennis1188
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Lafayette, Indiana
  • peckgary
    peckgary Posts: 37
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Man I wish I could ever be so lucky. Once you listen to them, you will never get rid of them :)
  • peckgary
    peckgary Posts: 37
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Forgot to ask, Did you get the interconnect cable with them?
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2003
    Options
    If you have not heard them before then you have no clue how lucky you really are!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Dennis1188
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yes, I got the interconnect cables and I plan to get some high quality speaker wire... any recommendations?
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2003
    Options
    i had a dream i got some free polk speakers once, i woke up very dissappointed haahaa
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited May 2003
    Options
    You're one lucky SOB :D

I highly recommend MIT cables, get the best you can afford and don't be afraid to buy them used from someplace like Audiogon. I personally like the MH-750 Shotgun Bi-wires with MI-330 Shotgun interconnect cables, impedance matched to the amp.
    Like hoosier said, you have to get a high current amp, forget the receiver idea. These babies will handle 1000 wpc! If you get a non-common ground amp, you'll have to use the AI-1 interconnect cable, did you get that too?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dennis1188
    edited May 2003
    Options
    No I did not get the AI-1, let me first see about the amp than I will see about what kind of cable.
    Thanks
  • Dennis1188
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey F1nut, are these MIT cables worth the money?
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Options
    That's so cool! I'm sure you will really enjoy them.
    What are you powering them with at the moment? If you have a receiver with pre-outs you can start with a nice amp and use the receiver as a pre-amp.

Maurice
  • Dennis1188
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nothing at the moment, how much power does your NAD put out and at what ohm?
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The C270 puts out 125w per channel at both 8 and 4ohms. It can be bridged to 300watts(2 amps is needed for bridging). You can read about it here: www.nadelectronics.com
    They have a more powerful amp(218THX) and their amp in the "silver series" line is their best 2ch amp.

Maurice
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dennis1188
    Hey F1nut, are these MIT cables worth the money?

Hell YEAH!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Let's see what is the appropriate comment here? I know I read it somewhere here before… Oh yeah...

Jeezus H Tapdancing Christ!

"Gee thanks for helping me load my truck. Here's $2400 for your trouble."

Dennis,
    Hell of a way to introduce yourself to the Club. Seriously, the above is what these have gone for on ebay this year. They are the most sought after of all Polk speakers, kinda our holy grail. Congratulations… I own the SRS’s, the granddaddy of your new boys.

Above info was right, Polk CS, Ken or Lauren, will mail you a manual free of charge. Also ask for a copy of the troubleshooting manual while you are at it. Not likely you’ll ever need it, but why not as long as they’re mailing the manual your way. I assume they had the blunt “feet” on them, if you did not get the spiked feet with them are planning to put them on carpet, ask CS’s Helen, the part Lady, if they are available.

As for the rest of your question parade… IMO, since you’re starting from scratch here, forget bi-amping, forget the high-end wire et al for now, and focus on putting your $$$ into good electronics. Start with:
    - a couple dozen feet of 12 gauge Woods wire from Home Depot or Lowe’s so you can at least bi-wire if you want;
    - some Radio Shack gold banana plugs; and
    - some decent, budget interconnects – new or used.
    Save the "esoterica" for buys with which you can pacify yourself every time you get the upgrade itch. And you will get it… especially if you hang around here.

Separates offer more long-term upgrade flexibility, especially if you are thinking you may go HT in the future, but if you really want a receiver, you can find a good high-current model that will drive your new gems. Hoosier mentioned several above. SDA mentioned the Carver M1.5t, that’s what I ran my SRS’s off of for years.

What kind of budget are you thinking about for the rest of your “starter rig”?

Geez, I still can’t believe the luck… you wanna go in together on some Powerball picks? ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dennis1188
    edited May 2003
    Options
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the information.
    I have no budget limit BUT I do not want the system to equal the cost of my small home.
    For now I will get the separates along with your other recommendations on the wire. I'm a little lost here but you guys are helping me to see the way. My SDR's will be the front main speakers... any suggestions on rear surrond speakers? Do I really need a center speaker?
    Thanks again

PS
    A coiple of friends have already ask about me picking Lotto numbers for them :-)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    OK, limit is value of small home in Indiana and wants to go full HT not just 2 ch.

Seriously, you need to consider what you are willing to spend. Developing a 7.1 system around a pair of 1.2 tl's is going to get pricey in a hurry. Are you strickly going to consider new equipment, or is used acceptable.

The better you can define your goals and means, the better the assistance you get will be.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Jaw on the floor..................why can't this happen to me?:lol: Let me know when you get tired of them......hint hint.:D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • rmh1
    rmh1 Posts: 9
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Congrats on this momentous occasion!!!

I have powered my 1.2's for years with an Adcom 200w/c amp. The main thing to look for is the power reserve of the amp. The 1.2 will suck a lot of power on transients. The Adcom stores enough power in the caps to discharge a max of 3000 watts. Of course this would only be for a few hundreths of a second but means you can drive the amp to unbearable steady state levels without clipping.

As far as surround, I installed the FX500's for rear and M3 for front presence. The Yamaha RX-V2095 was installed for 5.1 processing. The front main channels were unjumpered to the internal amp and re-routed to the Adcom.

A Mitsubishi HDTV 65 inch widescreen was installed between the two 1.2's and the speakers moved forward to extend the front grill 1/2 inch in front of the TV.

This setup makes the tall size of the 1.2's a non issue now as that the TV is about 2 inches shorter than the 1.2. It looks like a very large TV cabinet 8'-7" W by 5'-3" tall.

I would suggest spending around $2000 for a main amp, surround sound processor and surround sound speakers. This would not include DVD player or any other box. It sounds like a lot of money and while it is, that is the calibre of speakers you just lucked into.

When I break down a buy a digital camera, I will try to post the pictures.:D