F1Nut-New remaster of In the court of the Crimson King

Options
mhw58
mhw58 Posts: 359
edited September 2008 in Music & Movies
Hi F1NUT,
A few years ago I bought the 30th anniversary remaster of 'In the court of the Krimson King' gold cd on your recommendation. I love it but I just read about a new remaster that is supposed to be even better. Apparently they had lost the original tape of side 1 so all remasters used a snd or 3rd generation tape for side 1. Now they found the original tape and made a new remaster that is supposed to be incredible. Best of all it's a regularly priced cd you can buy at best buy or anywhere. Here's the info:

Original Master Edition. HDCD. 24Bit remaster by Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering, September 2004. Cat# DGM0501.

I'm going to get it and check it out, thought you might want to also.
Mike
Fronts: SDA1C's
Rears: SDA2's
Center:CS400i
Sub: PSW505
Post edited by mhw58 on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the info,, I'm going to get one tomorrow,,still have it on Lp,,great album,,brings back loads of very fond memories.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    Options
    mhw58 wrote: »
    Original Master Edition. HDCD. 24Bit remaster by Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering, September 2004. Cat# DGM0501.

There're rumors of upcoming 5.1 surround releases for King Crimson. No mention of format though. However, since they already remastered at Super Audio Mastering....

Simon does good remastering work.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Hey Mike, thanks for the info. I look forward to your impression. What's up with the 2004 date?

Danny, is that a new rumor or the old one? You know they still list a SACD of it on Amazon.uk after all these years. Cracks me up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Danny, is that a new rumor or the old one?

From Sound and Vision's January 22, 2008 blog
  • mhw58
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Hey Mike, thanks for the info. I look forward to your impression. What's up with the 2004 date?

F1,
    Apparently it was released in November of 2004. We just missed it. It's at amazon for $13.99.
    http://www.amazon.com/Court-Crimson-King/dp/B00065MDRW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202428116&sr=8-1

Mike
  • F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Ok guys, guess we'll see on both accounts.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Hi F1NUT,
    A few years ago I bought the 30th anniversary remaster of 'In the court of the Krimson King' gold cd on your recommendation. I love it but I just read about a new remaster that is supposed to be even better. Apparently they had lost the original tape of side 1 so all remasters used a snd or 3rd generation tape for side 1. Now they found the original tape and made a new remaster that is supposed to be incredible. Best of all it's a regularly priced cd you can buy at best buy or anywhere. Here's the info:

I'm going to get it and check it out, thought you might want to also.
    Mike

I have it. Better than the 30th Anniversary edition. HQ vinyl is the best sounding format for this classic LP.
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Carl, is your 30th copy the gold disc from Japan?

President of Club Polk

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I never heard of them before.

They don't sound bad at all, I'll pick up a copy if I come across it.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zHkisNZH77Y
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • schwarcw
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Carl, is your 30th copy the gold disc from Japan?

No! I think it's a Fripp release. Sounds good but the 2004 sounds better. Also, some tracks are in HDCD.
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Ah ok, I have the Japanese gold version and I find it hard to believe it could get any better as it sounds as good as a number of SACD's that I have.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Options
    BTW Carl, that Ten Years After - A Space In Time is stellar! Thanks for the suggestion.

President of Club Polk

• mhw58
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Ah ok, I have the Japanese gold version and I find it hard to believe it could get any better as it sounds as good as a number of SACD's that I have.

F1,
    You can read more about this OME edition here:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=139533

These guys claim the 2004 OME edition does sound better than the Japanese gold version because this is the first Court cd to use the original tapes.
    I agree with you that the Gold version sounds fantastic so I'm a little skeptical myself that the OME sounds better.
    Mike
  • F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Ok Mike, thanks. I eagerly await your review.

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,338
    edited February 2008
    Options
    When you get it, can you answer me this? Is the recording slower in parts? Longer than the original with the same cuts?

Oh, my manners. Please.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhw58
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Ok Mike, thanks. I eagerly await your review.

F1,
    It may be a week or two before I can get the new one and listen to it. My dad's in the hospital and my brother-in-law just had brain surgery for a cancerous tumor so there are a lot of health issues in our family right now. I did read a comment from Robert Fripp that this new OME edition is the first one on cd mastered from the original tapes with no EQ. He says it's the closest digital copy you can get to what they recorded in the studio. The 30th anniversary edition was made from a 2nd or 3rd generation tape for side 1 and they used a lot of EQ to make it sound better. Fripp himself says the OME is the best version. I think the new one may be HDCD also but I'm not sure. I'll let you know when I get it.
    Mike

King Crimson/In The Court Of The Crimson King (Original Master Edition) ....CD $14.99

For this edition of this veritable rock classic, the tape transfers have been made from the recently discovered original studio master tapes, transferred direct and without any additional E'Q by renowned mastering engineer Simon Heyworth. This combination of the 1st generation master tapes, improved technology for the playback/transfer of analogue tapes & high bit rate digital encoding of the music provides an edition that sounds as close as it is possible to get on a standard CD to the sound the musicians heard and approved at the time of the album's completion. This album, originally released in 1969, stands as one of the defining albums of British rock music & one of the finest debut albums of all time; described by Pete Townshend as an 'uncanny masterpiece.'
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2008
    Options
    The CD I have says "24 bit remaster by Simon Heyworth, Robert Fripp, and David Singleton at Chop 'Em Out, August 3rd, 1999"

I'm assuming I have one of the remasters without the original side one?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • mhw58
    edited February 2008
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    When you get it, can you answer me this? Is the recording slower in parts? Longer than the original with the same cuts?

Oh, my manners. Please.

I finally got the new remaster of ITCOTCK and it is amazing. It clocks in 2 seconds slower than the 30th edition at 34:54. The original masters were found in 2003 and this remaster came out in 2004. IMO it is better than the 30th Gold from Japan. Everything sounds incredible. It's only $13.99 at Best Buy so fans of this cd should pick up the new remaster. Phenomenal on SDA's, incredible imaging, instruments and vocals sound amazing. Get it.
    Mike
  • F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Thanks Mike, I'm on it.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Mike, is the one you got at BB in a CD case or a cardboard mini LP jacket?

President of Club Polk

• mhw58
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Mike, is the one you got at BB in a CD case or a cardboard mini LP jacket?

F1,
    The new one is in a plastic jewel case, look for 'Original Master Edition' on the back of the cd with the year 2004 on it. It also says 'Original master edition' on the front of the cd written sideways next to the cover art. The cardboard mini lp of the Japanese edition is way nicer than this new one but the cd does sound incredible. Your system is better than mine and you are more familiar with this cd than I am so I'll be interested to hear what you think about it after you a-b it.
    Mike
  • schwarcw
    edited February 2008
    Options
    F1,
    The new one is in a plastic jewel case, look for 'Original Master Edition' on the back of the cd with the year 2004 on it. It also says 'Original master edition' on the front of the cd written sideways next to the cover art. The cardboard mini lp of the Japanese edition is way nicer than this new one but the cd does sound incredible. Your system is better than mine and you are more familiar with this cd than I am so I'll be interested to hear what you think about it after you a-b it.
    Mike

Yep, this is the best version I've heard. This has been out for at least two years. Where have you boys been?;)
    Carl

• nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Resurecting an old thread here. I just got the Japan gold version and I must say it's pretty amazing. Jesse, did you ever get the newer remaster and have you compared it to the Japan gold?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I will be picking this up for sure. I don't listen to that much Prog anymore but this will probably get me right back into the mood to dust off a lot of the old stuff. My wife will just love that.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You know what, I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I've never owned a copy of this album before this one. What a shame, this is a stellar recording. I'd heard Schizoid before, and obviously Court of the Crimson King. But never sat down and listened through it. Really great....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Jesse, did you ever get the newer remaster and have you compared it to the Japan gold?

Yes, I did acquire the Original Master version, but I haven't bothered to compare them. I'll put it on my to do list.

President of Club Polk