Did I do good thing Dr. Spec?

jbowl
jbowl Posts: 72
Been waffling on which SVS to buy.
Sent their tech support an email asking for opinions, haven't gotten a response.

They had a B-Stock 20-39 PC+ this morning. It was only $50 off but I said WTF and pulled the trigger.

I was assuming the PCi series would be enough, I hate to go overboard. You know, the dimenishing returns thing.

Here is the email I sent them, see what you think :

I'm leaning towards the 20-39PCi.
The dimenesions of the room are 14'6" X 23' X 8' = 2668 ft^3.
The entertainment center sits on the 14' 6" wall. For WAF the sub has to sit in the corner between the entertainment center and exterior door where existing sub is, see Pic2. I assume this is the best placement location anyway.
Pic1 shows two open doorways on the opposite corner, same wall as where the sub will sit.
I don't know how room furnishings/makeup affects bass respose. The side walls are hardwood judges-panelling on one side with floor to ceiling windows on the other side. There are bookshelves and a stone fireplace on the rear wall. Thick carpeting on the floor.
See pics 3 and 4.

60 / 40
Movies / Music
Action, war / Rock, Classic Rock, Grunge, a little 80's hair bands

What would you gentleman suggest?

Thanks...
den.jpg 84.2K
Post edited by jbowl on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Pretty big room with openings. PC+ all the way.

Diminishing returns do not apply here - the PC+ has a 5-6 dB advantage below 30 Hz in max output over the PCi - that's huge.

For another $250 over the PCi you get so many options, it's a no brainer. Way more port area, adjustable tune points, 4 position SS filter, infinitely variable phase (0-180), a more capable woofer, and 525 watts.

You will do backflips when you see what this sub is capable of.

Location? In a corner, away from permanent openings will do just fine.

Tell Ron/Tom that Ed Mullen says hello!

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS