Well, THAT Was Different...

Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
Did my bi-amp thing on the SRS's last night... sort of.

Only problem was I wired the tweets/ mids properly, but the bass, bass ackwards, i.e., right channel to left and vice versa. All was in phase, just swapped, or rather "half-swapped" to be precise.
(Memo to self: No more wiring after midnight.)

Other than the fact that I think it confused the hell out of the SDA circuitry, no negatives, but to say the least, I heard music that I know well like I never have heard it before.

No imaging to speak of, It was almost like listening to mono. And passages I know should jump out were recessing, while others did just the opposite.... just weird. Was about ready to go back to the single runs of lampcord when I finally spotted the error.

But it's a new day, and all is well now. So let's go see what we have...
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Interesting, tour. Get it wired "right", and report back with your assessment.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    yes i'm very interested now in bi amping. as I understand it.. you take one signal and split it between to amps... correct. one amp for the tweets and one amp for the mids? so to bi amp your two fronts you need 4 amps?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    You need four channels of amplification... 4 amps if mono, 2 if stereo, one if multi-channel...

You are correct about splitting the pre-amp's outputs so that each feeds two channels.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    I had a Onkyo m-504 amp, with A&B switch, so i ran A to the tweets and B to the woofs, on my Rti70's.. did seem to have more drive and less harshness on the tweets, although when i wired it normal with the strap couldn't really tell much..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp