6503 Gunk - Anyway to clean it?

jtconnell
jtconnell Posts: 65
edited May 2003 in Troubleshooting
Now that I got my major problem fixed, it's time to start with the minor ones! Check out the following picture of one of the 6503 drivers on my SDA SRS (with cardboard doughnut no less!).

There is some kind of white garbage on the cone cap. I have no clue what it is although it seem I can brush it off with a stiff artist's brush. I'm somewhat hesitant to do it because I don't want to cause any damage. Now that my Xovers work properly, the speakers sound pretty good in my humble opinion. Any thoughts?:confused:
Tour2ma: Note to self: Talk to Justin about changing jtc's rank to "part-time, distant, **** second cousin, Polkie"...

jtconnell: "That's LUCKY, part-time, distant, **** second cousin Polkie to you Mr."
Post edited by jtconnell on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited May 2003
    Armor All maybe????????
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Dont think you want to put armoral on the dust cap though.....hmm, cone and surrounds wont be affected by. Just remember when your done...it'll be SHINEY!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jtconnell
    edited May 2003
    Armor All? You've got to be kidding. Seriously? I've never heard of that!:eek:
    Tour2ma: Note to self: Talk to Justin about changing jtc's rank to "part-time, distant, **** second cousin, Polkie"...

jtconnell: "That's LUCKY, part-time, distant, **** second cousin Polkie to you Mr."
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    umm yeah...you know the stuff that cleans leather in cars...lol! It dosn't do anything to the woofer. Just don't put it on the dust cap, thats what my dad told me.
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Might I suggest the wipes, you can get em at Autozone. They are alot easier to use, and less chance of pressing down too hard on your woofer. The wipes can clean em easily.
  • jtconnell
    edited May 2003
    I'll give it a shot. It can only help the rubber surrounds, that's for sure! Thanks!

• VR3
    edited May 2003
    Nah it can clean the surrounds, and the cone - just not the dust cap. Which you called the cone cap. By the way...im bout scared to ask what that white stuff is...
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    You know what that 'gunk' on the cone looks like? Mildew and paint...im not sure if armoral will clean dat. Worth a try, gl with it. Maybe someone on here can verify if you can use armoral on the dust cap or not.
  • jtconnell
    edited May 2003
    I thought it was paint at first and my lovely wife suggested that I color over it with majic marker. After I returned from the hospital after getting my toenails uncurled, I'm starting to think she wasn't too far off base. At any rate, I decided to try and brush/vaccuum some of it off and it comes off too easy to be paint. It sure as hell ain't dust and I'm not doing the taste test! It might be mildew but I'm not getting bleach within 10 feet of the speakers! Worse comes to worse, I'll live with it.

So Armor-All doesn't affect the "stickiness" of the cones. I always wondered why they were so damn sticky anyway. It seems like a dust magnet to me. Thanks for the advice.

• VR3
    edited May 2003
    Well, I really have never needed to clean my woofers or anything. However my dad sold me a 13 year old M&K MX-90 subwoofer and it needed to be cleaned. He used armoral wipes for the woofer, he cleaned everything except the dust cap. I would think if the dust cap is rubber you could use it, but if its a paper type material...keep it away. Ohh yeah, make sure you wipe the driver down VERY softly with a dry rag, just dont press down hard... after you use the wipes...you dont want the woofs throwing amoral all over your grills now would ya?

By the way...cut the sig down some...russ will be all over ya!
  • jtconnell
    edited May 2003
    No sweat. That's easily done. It's not like I've got great equipment anyway but at least it works for me.

• VR3
    edited May 2003
    Man u have the king of polk's...thats good to me...lol..nah you didnt have to kill the sig, just shorten it up...Russ dosnt like long sigs..
  • Wade Spradley
    Wade Spradley Posts: 81
    edited May 2003
    Hello,

I have the same problem with my Monitor 7's, a white ring around the central dust cap on the mid cone. Not sure myself either, but these had a load of dust sitting in the speaker cones when I demoed them at the pawn shop. Most of the dust vibed off, but the white rings were still they, did not affect the sound either. So I am assuming its either dust or mildew/mold.

Just my 2cents.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    If it's mildew I believe you would be safe cleaning with 1/4 strength hydrogen peroxide. Just mix 3 parts water with 1 part peroxide. Dampen a cloth with the mix, wipe on and wipe off after a minute or so. May have to repeat but it will kill the mold.

Good call on keeping the bleach away... the caustic that is also present would attack the rubber.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    My 10Bs have it too.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited May 2003
    I would be afraid to use any type of liquid to clean the cardboard surrounds. I am thinking the liquid would be absorbed by the cardboard and swell and separate.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Cardboard surrounds???????????WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2003
    Well, the surrounds are rubber, but the rubber surrounds are surrounded by cardboard "doughnuts".
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    oh, ok. I get it now, so around the surround is a piece of cardboard? What exactly does this do?
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2003
    We haven't been able to figure out the reason for the cardboard doughnut. I'm guessing that it is there to protect the seam where the rubber surround is bonded to the metal driver frame.

Maybe these are an earlier version of the MW-6503 driver that needed some extra bracing at the surround/driver frame seam.:(
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Raife,
    Agree on keeping water a way from the cardboard; the peroxide was meant for the cones and other rubberized surfaces.

Could it be that the cardboard is a "soft" excursion limter? Doesn't ring true, but only thing I can come up with...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • DarqueKnight
    edited May 2003
    I sent a copy of JT's 6503 driver picture to Ken Swauger in Polk Customer Service and asked for clarification.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2003
    I wouldn't use Armor-All on my car and there's no effn way I put it on my speakers. Nothing but slick, oily, dust attracting slim.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Originally posted by F1nut
    I wouldn't use Armor-All on my car and there's no effn way I put it on my speakers. Nothing but slick, oily, dust attracting slim.

I would have to agree with F1 here.... the only thing I put the slippery stuff on are my tires. I hate sliding around in my car seat and I can't imagine the benefit on a speaker.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    I like armorall! SHINEY!!!!!!!!!!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2003
    Oh... the white stuff..... (same as in Micah's socks <ick>).
    Serioiusly though... what this is is the glue used to hold on the dustcap oxidizes with time and turns white.

THe solution is simple. Ammonia.
    Windex works.

Just soak a q-tip in windex and lightly rub the white **** away.

I've done this to several of my old drivers and they clean right up. Not perfectly... but, I'd say they are 90% better looking after a windex treatment. I prefer the industrial strength windex for this task.

Where did I get this funky idea - you ask. A few years ago, I contacted Polk Service and they recommended this technique. Serious.

Armorall (or, any sort of similar silicone product) works well on both the surround rubber and even the driver surface (removes dust). Keeps them old drivers looking like new and doesn't affect the sound one-way-or-the-other. Maybe getting that heavy dust off the surround helps response (seriously doubt it though).

So, my advice... just like in "MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING".... USE WINDEX ! ! !

RON
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    I beg to differ about Armor-All. It has been proven to actually remove the natural oils and elasticity of rubber/vinyl products and silicone is just plain old nasty crap. Leave your grills on and you shouldn't have to worry about dust.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited May 2003
    F1, your the type of guy that lets his dashboard crack arnt u?;)

F1, the dude has mildew on his friggin driver. I think he wont mind putting a little armor-all on dat thing! It'll be really shiney afterwards too!
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Sid,

You're missing the whole point!!! The effn stuff will make your dashboard crack because it sucks all the natural oils out of it. I've never had a dash crack on me because I don't use it, so there;)
    Another damn reason not to use it is that a shiny dash causes glare and that's not a good thing when you're driving. Mildew??? I think not. I believe Ron has it right, glue oxidition.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited May 2003
    Im speaking of the brown crap on the cone. My Dad has used Armor-All on his dashboard for the past 13-14 years on his truck, looks brand new. Now what it does do, it makes it dependent on the armor-all. However when you clean your car weekly, this does not matter. It looks friggin awesome.