Options

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    It's just an opinion Bob. ;)

I know, just debating, not saying you can't have your opinion. :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Mike Kozak
    Mike Kozak Posts: 930
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hard to beat Pacino in Scarface
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I think that you have to look at actors that are consistently convincing in a variety of roles. Depp and Spacey are my two picks.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I'm down with Morgan Freeman. What an amazing actor. & Tom Hanks has to get props as well. He has amazing range and flexibility as an actor and has been excellent for a long time.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2008
    Options
    WTF??????

It is:

John Wayne and/or Jimmy Stewart

RT1
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2008
    Options
    John Wayne! The guy was iconic, but hardly a good actor.

Jimmy Stewart was great though.

However, the thread title is "Best current actor" not "of all time." Otherwise this thread would be Brando, Paul Newman, maybe some Bogey thrown in there.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited September 2008
    Options
    gotcha, BoB.

Then its Newman or is he dead too...........anyway, I am sticking with the old guys.

RT1
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Nobody has mentioned Russel Crowe? I mean, in his personal life, he's a bit of an arrogant jackass at times but if you want to REALLY see what he is capable of, watch Gladiator then watch Master and Commander.

Another one that I think gets over looked is Ron Livingston of Office Space fame. But go check out his IMDB page and see how much stuff he is actually in. Sometimes I think he just chose a bad role for himself. Not that he doesn't do good with it just that the role doesn't get him the exposure he deserves.

The thing about Ron is that so often in his roles, I forget he's even in them. He becomes the character so well that he's more of a plot device instead of a character that the movie is about. I think that is what makes Tom Hanks so good too. I'm never really watching Tom Hanks playing playing Charlie Wilson in Charlie Wilson's War. I'm watching a movie about Charlie Wilson and nothing about his performance clues me in that it's Tom Hanks playing the part. Even in a bad movie like The Ladykillers or a good movie like Forrest Gump. Tom Hanks is a name in the credits not a dude playing a character in a movie.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Very good points, and you are right, Russell Crowe has done some really good work and we probably forget about him since he has been out of the spotlight for a couple of years. I thought he was brilliant in the Outsider as well as M&C and Gladiator.

Ron Livingston is probably under-rated too because he so often kind of slips under the radar. He was great in Band of Brothers (hell, everyone was, but he really made an impression in that).

I've never seen Hanks be bad or even seem mis-cast in a role, much to his credit. I would like to seem him play someone really nasty (even in Road to Perdition he seemed kind of like a nice guy). But of course then maybe he would come off as miss-cast. Fine actor though and seems like a good human being...not sure that can be said of all of the others mentioned above.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • reeltrouble1
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Crowe was good in that fight movie with Zellwiger.

RT1
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Denzel Washington Great movie after great movie

My daughter said

BARNEY
    and
    Dora
  • bobman1235
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Crowe was good in that fight movie with Zellwiger.

RT1

Cinderella Man. Fantastic movie, and he was really good in it.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited September 2008
    Options
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a great character in most anything he's in.

I gotta echo this sentiment as well. Hoffman, the dude is so good every character he touches turns to gold. He just has a laundry list of excellent roles. Whether it's a leading role or a supporting role, he approaches it the same every time. From "Dusty" in "Twister" to the lead role of "Truman Capote" in "Capote" to "Gust Avrakotos" in "Charlie Wilson' War", he is a master of his craft.

Very much like Johnny Depp, there are not many roles that he hasn't brought a higher level of competency too and I can't imagine any one else playing the part. Hell, he was so good in "Charlie Wilson's War" I didn't even realize it was him until halfway through the movie!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Will Smith
    Burt Reynolds
    John Cusack
    Christian Bale
    George Clooney
    Robert De Niro
    Al Pacino
    Robin Williams
    Cuba Gooding Jr
    Nicolas Cage
    Are you frikkin' kidding me? I like a couple guys on that list (Will Smith is one of my favorite actors), but no way any of them even belongs in the "Best Actor" discussion.

Hell, there's lots of roles that I really liked (Matt Daman in the Bourne movies, Val Kilmer in the Saint, etc) but they sure as hell don't go on the "Best Actor" list.

Jeezus, why don't we just go ahead and add Brad Pitt, Matt Daman and Ben Afleck on there as well...did I miss anyone, or would that complete the list???
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Snow Dogs has forever cemented Gooding as a god among thespians.

I never knew if that was serious or not until last week.

I have my answer now.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Morgan Freeman
    DiCaprio

Almost all of those listed above except Cusack and Norton.

Favorite actress - Sandra Bullock
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Meryl Streep for actress and Johnny Depp for actor...

All time favorite??? Sir Anthony Hopkins
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hah, I was just about to comment on some of the picks on the list, until I read post #54 and realized i'd already done that :D

Also I'm kind of an a$$hole sometimes...

But seriously, CHRISTIAN BALE!!!???
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Bill Murry - has come a long way in non-comedy roles since CAddyshack and Stripes
    Clint Eastwood - has remained iconic and never really "sold out" over the years like many other actors.
    Bruce Willis - just a great actor
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2010
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Bruce Willis - just a great actor
    Yippy Kay Yay motherfu...:D

That is about the only line I remember him ever speaking in a movie.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Hands down, it's gotta be.....

John Cenna:p
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • ozzy21236
    ozzy21236 Posts: 100
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Tom Hanks
    Kevin Spacey
    Johnny Depp

All three terrific actors.

I'd also like to throw some props to:
    William H. Macy
    Robert Downey Jr.
    Harry Dean Stanton
    Steve Buscemi
    Ben Kingsley

Russ
    Technics SL1210mkll / AT125LC / Cambridge Audio 640P / Yamaha TX-950 / Onkyo TA-2600 / Yamaha C-80 pre/Adcom GFA 545 / Polk Audio Monitor 12 Series 2
  • RCFGuitars
    RCFGuitars Posts: 159
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I think Gary Oldman is great, but the best current actor out there has to be Daniel Day-Lewis. Look at all the Oscar nominated/winning perfomances.
    Primary System
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (RDO198,Sonicap/Dayton/Mills,CardasCCGR,Mye Spikes,DynamatX,Driver Rings,Ben's IC,Bi-Wired)
    Polk Audio CSiA4 x2 (C)
    Polk Audio FXiA6 (S)
    Polk Audio RTiA3 (RS)
    Polk Audio FXiA4 (FX)
    Epik Sentinel x2
    Yamaha RX-V3900
    Rotel RB-1090
    Rotel RMB-1095
    NAD C565 BEE
    Technics/KAB SL-1210M5G w/ Denon DL-160
    Parasound Halo P7
    OPPO BDP-83
    Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma
  • woodhead 2
    woodhead 2 Posts: 367
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Robert Duvall
    Panny 8000 project
    Oppo 103D
    Fronts- Monitor 70's
    Upper fronts- Monitor 30's
    Surrounds- Monitor 50's
    Backs- Monitor 40's
    Center-CS 350
    Sub- SVS PB 2000
    Onkyo 607[back up]
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited January 2010
    Options
    He's got some growing to do, but i'm pretty impressed with Michael C. Hall. Especially for a "tv actor."
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • Huck344
    Huck344 Posts: 453
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Jack Nicholson
    Sean Penn
    Russell Crowe
    Denzel Washington
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Huck344 wrote: »
    Jack Nicholson
    very good but one dimentional
    Sean Penn
    he should move to Venezuela
    Russell Crowe
    to full of himself and also one dimentional
    Denzel Washington
    Good choice and very much overlooked

• bobman1235
    edited February 2010
    Options
    HAHA, I love how you call two guys one dimensional but praise Denzel. Denzel can play one character - Denzel. He plays it really well, but the guy defines one dimensional.
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sorry... but I gotta agree. I know there's all this love for Denzel, but the man has **** for an acting range. I may pay ya Training Day, but even then... I only think his performance was so noted because he managed to step away from his "Denzel persona". In retrospect, was that performance even that good? Or were we just shocked to see him playing something other that what he's always brought to the table.

There's a difference between a charismatic celebrity and an excellent actor. I still stand behind my picks of Gary Oldman and Daniel Day-Lewis. Neither actor ever seems to play the same role twice. Sean Pean can suck it when it comes to method acting, as those two are light years ahead of him.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • anton.chigurh
    anton.chigurh Posts: 239
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Pauly Shore....can't believe nobody mentioned him yet?