Cap replacement in older speakers

Options
tugboat
tugboat Posts: 393
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Have to say I didn't think I'd hear a difference replacing the old caps in my Pioneer CS-05 end table speakers, but for the hell of it I replaced the old 5uf cap with a Dayton 5.1uf 5% and there was a difference. I know the old caps were out of spec, but not by much for being 34yrs old. The Daytons made the highs much smoother. Not bad sound for omni-directional speakers. They're used mainly as background speakers, so I don't expect too much from them in accuracy and imaging.

The old cap was silver and the only marking was the number "5" on it. There were no brand markings or voltage. The schematics showed the cap as being 5uf, so that was a good confirmation.

My next project is the XOs in my Minimus 7s.
Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
Post edited by tugboat on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Actually I have a capacitance tester, and every old cap that I pulled out of the many XO's I have done were within spec;) I know sometimes I still look at numbers, but the longer you are in this hobby th more you trust your ears. BTW 5.1 is well within the 5uf spec for that cap The old cap was most likely a 20% cap;)
    Enjoy
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 393
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Actually I have a capacitance tester, and every old cap that I pulled out of the many XO's I have done were within spec;) I know sometimes I still look at numbers, but the longer you are in this hobby th more you trust your ears. BTW 5.1 is well within the 5uf spec for that cap The old cap was most likely a 20% cap;)
    Enjoy
    Ben

I'm become aware that there is more to a cap than it's rating. Obviously, for the upgrade I just did to my 1.2TLs, materials and workmanship make a huge difference. My old caps were within spec, but the replacements blew them away in every way. :D

The cap I replace in my Pioneers... If they had been made in the 80s, they would have been white with a blue stripe (plainwrap). If these were from a major supplier, they must have been shipped without any identifying markings.
    Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I kinda knew you knew, but it is good info to share:)
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • awe-d-o-file
    awe-d-o-file Posts: 146
    edited September 2008
    Options
    tugboat wrote: »

My next project is the XOs in my Minimus 7s.

There are several places to look on the net for info on these. Here is one with a Zoebel circuit.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-107075.html

ET

System: MF Trivista SACD > Placette passive> CJ passive horizontal bi-amp> MF 2500A(LF) MF2100(HF) > 1.2TL's

Other: Speltz silver Eichmann IC's & speaker wire, Econotweaks Detail Magnifiers, PS Audio P-300(source), R. Gray 600, Al Sekala's AC R/C filters, R. Gray HT PC's, Oyaide R-1's,WPC-Z , M-1, Herbie's & DIY Isolation
    Room: Qty 7 - 4' tall 18" diam. bass traps, Qty 4 - 4' X 2' X 4" panels. All DIY - man my wife is tolerant!