Wood floor and speaker wire

Options
rainman31
rainman31 Posts: 76
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I am wanting to put wood flooring in my theater room. I am wondering solutions for the speaker wire and cables. Can you run speaker wire under the floor? I have seen people run it be hide types of moldings along the baseboards. Also run it through the wall. The only way I have done it is under the carpet. Do you have any suggestions for different ways I can do this to make it look good. I hope I put this in the right forum.:)

7.2 Set Up
Onkyo 805
X-Box
3DO
PS3
Velodyne DPS10 sub
Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
Polk Audio CSI 5
Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
Pronto 7500 LCD remote
Gefen HD video 1080p scaler
Mitsubishi TV 73927 1080p

Future purchase Rotel RMB 1095 200x5 THX
Post edited by rainman31 on

Comments

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2008
    Options
    You already found your answer, conduits. Plastic moulding that snaps together to put along the wall.
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited February 2008
    Options
    There is no way I would run speaker wire between the hardwood and the sub floor.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,405
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't do either. Rainman31 are you good at sheetrock repair [this would be the best]? If not, do you have wood baseboard trim and do you have to pass by any doorways, radiators, windows that touch the floor or any other obstruction? Also, do you have a router?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Go beneath the subfloor if you want?
  • fumoffu
    fumoffu Posts: 80
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Depending on the type of "wood" floor installed there may be a gap between the edge of the floor and the wall. What type of wood floor 3/4 solid, 3/8 engineered, laminate? Were you planning on replacing the baseboard?
    Home Theatre: Epson 5020ub, Elite Screen Sable Frame 100", Onkyo 818, Oppo BDP-103, Tivo Series 3, Xbox 360, Sealed Dual Sound Splinter RL-p 15" DIY sub powered by Behringer EP2500 with FBD, QSC RMX1400 powering LSi15, LSiC, LSiFX sides, and Lsi7 for the back, Technics SL-1200M3D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Just hide the wires behind the baseboards, or you can try flat speaker wire under the floor.

reddawn1.jpg
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Another choice.
    http://www.goertzaudio.com/flatwire.html
    They're available from 15ga to 9ga, copper or silver, and their HT line is plenum rated.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited February 2008
    Options
    We have a basement under our living room so the surround's cable is run under the floor and through the joists.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • rainman31
    rainman31 Posts: 76
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas

7.2 Set Up
    Onkyo 805
    X-Box
    3DO
    PS3
    Velodyne DPS10 sub
    Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
    Polk Audio CSI 5
    Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
    Pronto 7500 LCD remote
    Gefen HD video 1080p scaler
    Mitsubishi TV 73927 1080p

Future purchase Rotel RMB 1095 200x5 THX
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited February 2008
    Options
    Through the crawl space is the way I do it. Then just up through the wall, and mount wall plates to accept your wires.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2008
    Options
    You could always go up the wall across the ceiling then back down. Given this house is on a slab and a single story.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited February 2008
    Options
    I know this is a late post but this is still a viable answer. It works great with no problems. I've got a couple of buddies running it for the WAF.
    http://www.ghostwiring.com/
    HB
  • diablo1
    diablo1 Posts: 4
    edited September 2008
    Options
    yes you can run under wood flooring ! BEFORE FLOOR INSTALL , Providing you have a wood base , and not concrete , Router a 1/4" Depth & Width Line Wherever your speakers are going to be Located , I did this to mine worked great ! With the liner and the panel in place you would never know it was under . Thanks