Caps for Jolida 502a power supply?

Options
bikerboy
bikerboy Posts: 1,207
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Hi,
I have been striking out looking for caps to rebuild the ps of my jolida 502a tube amp. It has started to hum in the past couple of weeks. All the usual sites dont have the high voltage electrolitics I need. It uses
2-150y/450v
2-470y/400v
2-220y/160v
as a minimum as per schematic. I need to open it up and look at what was installed stock before I make an order. Maybe later today.
Digikey has them but was hoping for something better quality than Pana or Nichon. Any ideas of a good tube cap supplier or suggestions of good panasonic or nichon types. ? Also surprised that most of the ps caps are rated at 2000-7000 hrs. Thats not that long! 2 hrs a day for 3 yrs on the low and 10 years on the high end. No wonder this 15 yr old amp is starting to hum. Most any:D ideas will be appreciated.Thanks.
Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
Post edited by bikerboy on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I just order a bunch of Ruby Gold axial caps from PE for the upgrade to my tube amp and they were recommend by some guys at DIYaudio. They look like high quality and have good reviews. JJ Capacitors have also been recommend to me for upgrades in tube amps.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2008
    Options
    BB -- are you sure it's the old caps causing the hum? Have you changed anything recently -- IC, PC, tube(s), a component perhaps?

Is the hum very loud? When I owned a 502, there was always a slight hum.

And once you're sure it's the caps, then you may as well upgrade the caps and resisitors in the signal path. A few extra dollars worth of Sonicaps should provide you with a better sounding amp.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hi EB,
    I havent changed anything in quite some time. I have replaced the signal caps with Auricaps and the diodes with 4 amp Fairchilds about a year ago. Tonight I used shorting plugs in the input and the hum is still the same. I can tap on the tubes and no noise is amplified. Swapped the power cord, no change. If I use the B&K amp with the rest of the system it is silent. Maybe I will have a local repair guy look at it first and see what he has to say before I assume it is the power supply.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Options
    They have a large selection of caps here: http://www.tubesandmore.com/
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche