CD player search

muzik_wolf
muzik_wolf Posts: 6
edited May 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Whassupp?!

I like my system as is right now except for one thing. I would like to get a nice dedicated CD player since 95% of all my listening is to music. I don't want a cheap one, however, I certainly wouldn't want it to "outclass" the rest of the system either. the brands I'll be checking out are NAD, Denon and HK, just to name a few. I'd appreciate any input you guys might have.
PEACE!!!
Music first...Nothing like a pair of Polks!

Electronics:

Onkyo TX-SR700 surround receiver
Sony DVP-NC615 DVD/CD changer
HK CDR 26 Dual CD recorder/player
Delphi XM Satellite Radio
Panasonic CT32HX42 32" HDTV Monitor
RCA VR706HF Hifi Stereo VCR

Polk Audio:
RTi100 front L/R (bi-wired)
CSi30 center channel
RTi28 L/R surrounds

Monster Cable/Power:

HTS 2500 Reference Power Center II
Z1 Reference Cable (mains HF)
Original Monster (mains LF, center ch)
XP Speaker cable (surrounds)
Quick-Lock Banana plugs
Interlink Reference 2 audio cable
DataLink 100 Digital Coax cable
Interlink 400MkII
Interlink 300MkII
Video3 S-Video cable
Video3 Component cable

Post edited by muzik_wolf on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,785
    edited May 2003
    Check out the Sony ES CDP- C555ES. Stereophile rated Class A, 5 spinner that does CD/SACD for about $800.00 new and $500.00 used.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    2 recommendations:

AMC cd8b - $175 direct from amchome.com

Cambridge Audio D-300se - $299 from audioadvisor.com

My newest Audio Advisor flyer showed they had the AMC cd8d for $249, but I can't find it on their site.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Since I'm a NAD loyalist, I'll say go with NAD. Take a look at their C521i and C541i. Like you, my system is used for music 95% of the time. Before I became NAD crazy, I was in your position. I was looking for a good dedicated CD player. I read a lot of reviews(professional and consumer) and decided the C541 would be the right choice for me. I didn't mind buying it without listening first because I could return it within 30 days if I wasn't satisfied. I was so impressed with the CD player that I decided to build my system around NAD gear and I'm very happy.

Maurice
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    I'd add Rotel into that mix.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • muzik_wolf
    edited May 2003
    Thanks for your input guys. I will check out the units you recommend. In respomse to Organ, I used to own the NAD 5425 CD player (circa 1990/91) until it became the casualty of a burglary in '95 along with my beloved Polk Audio Monitor 5 series II speakers. It was the best sounding I'd heard to that point at $300. Stereophile recommended it highly. Thanks a lot.
    See ya 'round the forum!

Electronics:

Polk Audio:
    CSi30 center channel
    RTi28 L/R surrounds

Monster Cable/Power:

Quick-Lock Banana plugs
    Interlink 400MkII
    Interlink 300MkII
    Video3 S-Video cable
    Video3 Component cable

• organ
    edited May 2003
    Sorry to hear about that, wolf. I just hope that the cowardly thing that cheap f#ck did came around and bit him in the ****. We spend so much money and time into our audio gear and there are a$$holes going around stealing them. Losing any gear is like losing a family member for us.

Maurice
  • Wade Spradley
    Wade Spradley Posts: 81
    edited May 2003
    Well, after much soul searching myself, and reading many reviews between, NAD, Marantz, and Cambridge. For my money and class of system I ordered the NAD C521i, since it seemed to meet my criteria of cost and system needs. Especially since there are really no places that really carry quality stereo components locally. I've had to rely on online reviews and Audiophile recommendations.

Sorry to hear about the stolen gear.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2003
    sorry to here about something thats been stolen wolf, it hurts,
    i just got my tile wet saw stolen 4 weeks ago. thats going to be hard to recover for me. (hang all thefts), and there been 3 cars in the condo complex where i live , thats been stolen the last mo.

go for the nad or sony
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,785
    edited May 2003
    GO for the NAD

Oh, I'm so bored........:D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    :lol: Subliminal...
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • muzik_wolf
    edited May 2003
    Yea, I am leaning toward the NAD C541i, F1nut. I really liked the previous NAD I had. Right now I'm using my Sony dvd player and it's just not the same even though it sounds good. The bad part is that the NAD dealer nearest to me in New Jersey is about 60 miles away! What we go through for good audio :).

Electronics:

Polk Audio:
    CSi30 center channel
    RTi28 L/R surrounds

Monster Cable/Power:

Quick-Lock Banana plugs
    Interlink 400MkII
    Interlink 300MkII
    Video3 S-Video cable
    Video3 Component cable

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    I've been looking at some nice DACs at Audiogon lately. Krell for cheap.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    edited May 2003
    gidrah,
    Have you checked out the DAC by Musical Fidelity? It's the DAC found on their flagship CD player. One professional reviewer claimed the DAC to be the most analog sounding.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited May 2003
    wassup Venom Did you get the MF suff you wanted yet? They're pricey but I'm sure they kick serious butt. MF gear are built like a tank. They weigh a lot and could probably survive a nuclear explosion LOL. MF is one brand I'd consider getting into if I made a lot of cash. The next step for me would be NAD's silver series.

Maurice
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2003
    I have the NAD 521 and love it. My next favorite (affordable) CD player is the Arcam CD72. It is so sweet sounding and can be upgraded to it's big brother the CD92. The CD72 can be had for $400 to $500 at Audiogon and retails for around $800.

here's a review:
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/arcam_cd72.htm
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    Yep. I've seen 'em and like what I see, except for the price. I'm sure the price for the used ones will be dropping more soon.
    Make it Funky! :)