Srs 3.1tl

Options
johndo18
johndo18 Posts: 9
edited May 2003 in Speakers
Hey everyone
I just joined this forum today and wanted to ask yall a question. My father has a pair of SRS 3.1TL speakers in black wood cabinets.

I was wondering your opinions on these speakers and how they compare to the speakers out nowadays...They sound awsome but i just wanted to know your thoughts on their sound quality...Both tweaters are blown and i'm going to replace them for him..about $100...

He might let me keep them when i move out I'm hoping Tom
Polk 3.1TL
Adcom Gfa-555
Yamaha HTR-5660
SVS 20-39 PC+
Post edited by johndo18 on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Wow.. after you replace those tweeters.. your dad may just change his mind and decide to keep them for himself... so watch out. ha ha just kidding you guy.

I have never listened to them before. but everyone loves them it seems.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    John,
    Welcome. The 3.1's are great and will stand up to today's speakers just fine. And you can't find the SDA effect in anything today. IMO it was the best of the technologies at addressing interaural crosstalk.

Black cab's were not the norm. Thinking either these were refinished or were one of the Polk prototypes. At least this is what I've read about other "black" Polks here and there in the Club.

Strikes me as funny that both tweets blew. Is your Dad running a low powered amp to the 3.1's? Is he prone to pushing them?

BTW, good move joining the Club. 25% discount on the new tweets... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • raptor1015
    raptor1015 Posts: 2
    edited May 2003
    Options
    first off hello, now let me tell you what i have & my experience.
    I have 2 (2.3TL's) & 2 (1.2TL's). these speakers are great - in the midrange area they are very warm sounding....the highs is the only disappointment I have. too smooth (flattened) I would say..
    I like a much brighter high end (I don't mean harsh) either...just more noticable...I listen to alot of smooth Jazz (Craig Chaquico, Peter White, Rick Braun, Keiko Matsui, Patricia Barber, Diana Krall,
    Norman Brown etc...) my system: adcom 750 preamp, parasound
    1500 dac, rotel 980 cd transport, parasound hca3500 amp with the speakers bi-wired, and 2- adcom 565 mono blocks for the subs which are 4 NHT 12's if i need them... now i also have 2 - (Mirage M1SI's) & 4 (Mirage M3SI's)...the SDA effect of the Polks is brilliant but NOTHING and I MEAN NOTHING not even the REVEL"S
    can touch the soundstage the Mirage speakers provide. they are BI-POLAR...people who have heard these speakers or own them will only understand what I'm talking about...if you ever have the chance to listen to them you will be amazed...the only flaw in my opinion is power handling (350 wrms)...they don't need to be turned up loud anyway...sonically absolutely flawless!!!!!!
    enjoy the Polks they in themselves are a truly awesome sounding speaker...PEACE
  • marvelous
    marvelous Posts: 38
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I have 2 pair of 3.1tl and they are great. They produce a very warm sound and like their big brothers 2.3 & 1.2tl they are hard to beat. I also like there appearance. They are not so big that the wife is upset and the slim cabinet fits in with most entertainment center. I suggest you stay on dad good side!
  • johndo18
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hmm so the black cabinets were'nt the norm huh...would that make them rare or worth more since they aren't the norm?

As far as the receiver..he's running a old Sony AV1070 pushing out 120 Watts to the 2 speakers....he bought the receiver at the same time he got the speakers...do you think that they are being underpowered?

To tell you the truth my father never pushed the speakers that hard....I played them loud once in a while but nothing drastic

The tweets just stopped working all of the sudden...not at the same time either.

So whats this SDA effect supposed to do?
    Polk 3.1TL
    Adcom Gfa-555
    Yamaha HTR-5660
    SVS 20-39 PC+
  • johndo18
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Just to clarify..thats 120 to Each speaker
    Polk 3.1TL
    Adcom Gfa-555
    Yamaha HTR-5660
    SVS 20-39 PC+
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Not enough watts. The 3.1TL's are rated for 500wpc. It takes 250wpc to get them awake. Nice speakers. They cost about $2000 new back in 1991.
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited May 2003
    Options
    welcome back ron,hows things in nap town?

scott:cool: