Acoustic Project???

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited September 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Like many others, my setup includes a 50" flat panel TV in between my speakers which are positioned about 4 ft. in front of the TV. In my listening position I'm staring right at the screen. It's a non-issue with HT, but with 2-channel, I'd like to do something about it if it offers an improved sound. I'm thinking of building a 3' x 4' portable acoustic diffusor panel to drape over the TV whenever I listen to music. When I'm done, I'd hide the panel behind the couch.

Have I lost my damn mind (again) or is this something worthy of pursuing? Yeah, I'd love to do more acoustic dampening, but my system is in the den and that ain't gonna happen 'cause of the WAF thing.

Any thoughts?
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2008
    Options
    If your speaks are 4 ft in front I don't think you have to worry too much about hi frequencies reflecting off the front of the screen.However you could build an absorb panel ,simply build a wooden frame to hold some mineral wool or fiberglass insulation,then wrap it in some nice cloth material.If you install a wide enough base on it so it will be free standing.

Like this but wider with a wider base to keep it stable.
    d1.JPG 117.3K
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The face of my speaker cabs are about 2' from my TV and I didn't notice a difference with a panel in front of the TV. I noticed a bigger difference having panels at the first reflection.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Early B.
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    The face of my speaker cabs are about 2' from my TV and I didn't notice a difference with a panel in front of the TV. I noticed a bigger difference having panels at the first reflection.

OK, thanks. I'll move on....
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• jm1
    jm1 Posts: 618
    edited September 2008
    Options
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • Face
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Can't hurt to try a center panel, it would only take a hour to make. YMMV.

As for the center diffuser above, very interesting.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Face
    edited September 2008
    Options
  • Early B.
    edited September 2008
    Options
    jm1 wrote: »

jm1 --

Your center diffusor is interesting. The pic appears to indicate that your diffusor is in front of your speakers.

I need roughly a 3' x 4' panel to go in front of my TV. I'm thinking of buying 12 Auralex MiniFusors, painting them and attaching them to a thin wood panel to place in front of the TV.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_diffusor_minifusor/sound_diffusor_minifusor.asp

But before I do anything, I'd like somehow to determine if a diffusor will make any difference at all. Any ideas?

• Early B.
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Face wrote: »

Most of these guys are talking about using absorption panels. Do I need absorption or diffusion?

• jm1
    edited September 2008
    Options
    My speakers are about 4’ into the room. The diffuser rests against the audio rack behind the speakers. The diffuser is not in front of the speakers.

I have tried placing a tube trap between the speakers. It provided a minimal benefit at best even when rotated with the diffusing side facing out. The dedicated panel is significantly better than having absorption.

If I were you, I would pick one room in the house for audio applications and optimize the acoustics. Your wife will soon become accustomed to the visual and audio presence of the room.

“Siriusly, the room's the thing!”

The following have provided inspiration towards optimizing my acoustic environment:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1170194197

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1065030431

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1090182580

If the following article had been published before I developed the basement, my audio room would have incorporated some of the built-in features of the design. Even at this point, I would like to redevelop my room to implement some of these features.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third, it is accepted as self evident.
    Arthur Schopenhauer
  • mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Man, after reading that setup, my setup feels so insignificant. I am going to curl up in a ball and be depressed now. :(

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Early B.
    edited September 2008
    Options
    jm1 --

Thanks for the links. Seems like the best diffusor for my purpose is a semi-circular one like yours. I noticed that two of those links included them in the front of the room.

I'll have to figure out how to build one. I'd prefer for it to be portable and collapsible (i.e., two or three separate parts). that can be placed elsewhere when not in use. jm1 -- the one you built would be difficult for me to hide from the WAF. Any thoughts?

• mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Just throwing this out there--not sure if its a viable option or not, but what about the temp partition walls made like what's used in office cubicles? We have a couple free standing ones that have legs. They are essentially metal frames with fiberglass like insuation in them covered in cloth. At least they look like absorbtion panels-but probably not constructed the same for all I know.

Just did some quick searching online and found this. Made for privacy, it has sound absorbing fabirc on one side and a decorative other side, when not in use it could sit somewhere in the room looking pretty (assuming that doesn't cause any other acoustic issues).

Just a thought. Probably just as easy to make one yourself too...

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • jm1
    edited September 2008
    Options
    If you require a portable diffuser which can be easily “hidden”, I might suggest making one using the vertical boards method and hinging the center so it folds to half its width. This might make it easier to store when not in use. If hinging does not collapse the diffuser small enough for storage, you could use two lift off hinges to allow the unit to separate into two pieces.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=52497&cat=3,41241

You do only need four or five inches of depth in the center of the arc for the diffuser.
    Arthur Schopenhauer