Help im new!

Options
lonney
lonney Posts: 27
edited May 2003 in Speakers
Just built a hometheatre and wish i knew about this forum earlier!! below u can see what i have, im just wondering what is the purpose of Bi wiring THE CENTER and with my system below is it necassary?.....any help comments or concerns will be greatly appreciated!............I think i did some overkill on the center BUT everyone says u need a great center channel, everything sounds great just wanna learn how to tweak it up thanx again!:)
MY SETUP:
Hitachi 43"FWX20B HDTV Widescreen
Panasonic SA- HE100-Receiver
Paisley Research Ref 1-Fronts
PolkAudio CSi40-Center
PolkAudio R15's on stands-Rears
PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
All Monster Cable THX Cert. 16Guage spk wire
All Monster Cable THX cert. Connections
JVC XV-N44 DVD W/Monster THX cert.Component and Optical Cables
Post edited by lonney on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    Options
    lonney,
    welcome to the forum. you'll learn a lot from the people here.

Nope! you do not need to bi wire you center channel. It's an option... but your CSi40 will sound great without bi wiring it.

The reason some people (me included) bi wire our speaker is so that in theory it seperates the power going to your tweeter and the woofer. Some people claim to hear a difference.. while others say no.. no improvement in sound quality. This bi wiring has been a heated debate here for years. Search the forum if you'd like to find out more about it. But no.. no biwiring is needed for your center.. only if you WANT to do it.

I'd suggest if you haven't already done so.. go to Radio Shack and pick yourself up a sound pressure level meter.. either analog or digital. both work great.. the sales person there will know what you need. they run about $30 to $40 I think. This will help you set up all your speakers at the proper levels. Many people try and bypass the meter and do it by ear.. your ears can deceive you.. and you will not get proper levels.

You may also want to get a DVD set up disc. from Avia or Sound and Vision or Memorex.. this will help you set up your speakers and TV too.
    good luck. and have fun.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    To set up spk is that threw the amp ?.........i think your saying to adjust the level of each individual spker? and I live in a town of 10,000 people in Nova scotia can i get the disk u speak of online?
    Thanx for your help!
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    Options
    yes thru the amp/receiver from your JVC DVD player. do not use the set us noise from your receiver. I think the set up disc is available online.. sound and vision and maybe even here on the polk website. i'm not sure tho
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Wow thanx guys i didnt realize that u had to "set up" the spks OR that it was that Important i just raised them up a litte threw the amp wasnt really sure what the Individual volumes were for BUT thanx to you guyz now i do ..............Bythe way it sounds great to me right now just the way it is but im still overwhelmed at the sound in general i seem to get a crisper sound threw the DTS setting rather than the Dolby when the movie gives the option! is this generally true?
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2003
    Options
    DTS is the bomb-diggity :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    DTS is the bomb-diggity

i take it that it means its better than dolby digital!?
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • dorokusai
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yes thats what I mean. I think that the forum would agree that DTS is better than plain DD. It is much more evolved than DD, plus another channel available.

Go here for more information, get your read on:

http://www.dolby.com/
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanx again Doro you are a tonne o' help and yup im gettin' my read on! lots to learn!
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
  • JediCowboy
    JediCowboy Posts: 56
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by lonney
    im just wondering what is the purpose of Bi wiring THE CENTER and with my system below is it necassary

Hello there and welcome!

I have my front three speakers Bi-Wired and the difference was mixed. As far as television / Movie watching, no I don't think I'm hearing much of a difference at all. But I'm guessing that's because there isn't much to hear.

However, when listening to music, jazz especially, I feel it makes all the difference in the world. It simply sounds more clear, more precise, in a word, amazing.

As far as Dolbly Digital v. DTS, yes, I feel DTS is superior. I always opt for that when its available on DVDs or DirecTV broadcasts. However its still the responsibility of the people mixing the sound to get it right. Sometimes they miss the mark and it shows. The DTS track on Moulin Rouge, for example, just doesn't seem to jump out like I was expecting. In general, DTS is the way to go.
    The Force is with Me -- YEEHAW!!!

Denon 3802
    Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
    Center -- CSi40 Biwired
    Surrounds -- FXi50s
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I agree, DTS is my favorite but a lot of DD DVD's sound incredible. The Mask of Zorro, The Others snd Interview with the Vampire are some of the best DD sound I've heard.

Maurice
  • lonney
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Cool this is great thanx to everybody that replied! would love to hear more!
    MY SETUP:
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub