Computer 2-channel Setup ?

DannyV
DannyV Posts: 23
edited May 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm getting ready for a new Computer sound setup. I didnt wanna go the 5.1 channel route for numerous reasons I dont wanna get into. I picked out Rti28 for the desktop (beside the monitor) and a PS202 8" sub for (under the desk) all being powered by a $299 H/K 2x75w amp.

I just wanted to know if the setup would sound good. I'll be using it primarily for gaming/mp3'/cd-audio. I've also seen that the amp has a left/right sub out...is that any good? I'm used to the single cable.
Danny V
57" toshiba cinema series
H/K 525
"pos" Panasonic DVD progressive scan
Front: Polk Rti1000p
Center: Polk Csi40
Rear: Polk Fxi30
Sub: Velodyne CHT-10
Post edited by DannyV on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    That setup should sound great, much better than PC speaker systems. But usually the soundcard will determine the overall sonic quality. How are you hooking up those speakers and subs? If you're running the 28's full range, use both the L&R sub output on the receiver and set the crossover until it blends in with the mains.

Since you're a gamer, did you pick up Halo yet? It just came out for PC. I've had mine for a year on Xbox and still play it occasionally. It's one of the best games out there 10/10.

Maurice
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited May 2003
    DannyV, I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 that I would like to get rid of at some point if you are interested. I think your system will sound outstanding. Yeah, probably the best setup I will have heard of for a computer. I don't think 5.1 is all that great for games anyways.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    Sorry but I must disagree with you there shizelbs. I play a lot of video games and love the 5.1 sound. Games like Halo, Max Payne, FIFA just to name a few, all have incredible DD in-game sound. Playing FIFA actually makes me feel like I'm in a real stadium with the crowd screaming from all around me. Playing HALO makes me feel like a bad **** soldier because I can pinpoint the location of any enemies(both on and off screen) because of the great multi-channel sound. The sound effects are amazing and makes you feel like you're in a real war zone.

Since I upraded to 2ch seperates I haven't had surround sound. Until I get a receiver with 6ch pre's I wll have to live with stereo. And right now I realy miss 5.1 when playing my games.

Which game were you not impressed with? I know some of them are not very good, but the popular games have great sound.

Maurice
  • DannyV
    DannyV Posts: 23
    edited May 2003
    thanks for the input guys,

I will definitely set this system up. I spend a lot of the time behind the desk doing computer things and love to listen to my favorite tuns, I think this will turn out great..

I dont really wanna spend to much on a sub though. Maybe something small for a bedroom or office. I seen a new 10" down firing JBL sub on amazon.com for $150. What are your inputs on JBL?
    Danny V
    57" toshiba cinema series
    H/K 525
    "pos" Panasonic DVD progressive scan
    Front: Polk Rti1000p
    Center: Polk Csi40
    Rear: Polk Fxi30
    Sub: Velodyne CHT-10
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited May 2003
    Shizelbs, Email me about your audigy 2, I might take it off your hands if we can agree on a price.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    I know nOrh is coming out with a PC pre-amp. I've heard the prototype and it was pretty sweet. It'll probably sell for around $99. Very convenient if you also download MP3s. He said the main problem with soundcards is the lack of gain. They usually put out about 1.5v whereas a CD player is around 2v. Whether this is true or not I don't know.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited May 2003
    i dont think a CD player is 2V, you have to hook it up to a preamp in order to get it provide adequate power to an amp. I also dont think a soundcard can do 1.5 v, but maybe, depending on the type

so nOrh is just coming out with a preamp, you have to have your own soundcard?
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2003
    there selling the polk psw-202 at cosco for $150 or was it $125 call cosco and see.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    Yeah, come to think of it CD players are in the mV range. I checked nOrh's site to see if they had any info on it and couldn't find much. Just that they're coming out with one. They're also getting into computers now.
    Make it Funky! :)