Never knew how lovely Polk could be!

Options
Greetings,

I am new to such forums and equally to the Polkaudio realm of speakers.

I used to sell stereo equipment and became fascinated with sound and reproducing live proformance. At the time I was bent on selling DCM (before they apparently disappeared.) I have a pair of DCM Timeframe 600s (original design) and they are remarkable main speakers. I also had a pair of small DCM CX-007s (I was using them as rear channel speakers). However one met with an accident as it fell off the wall. So I used the other as a center speaker and used a pair of Yamaha NS-A525 as my new rear channel speakers.

After about 4 years I had become fed up with this setup. The DCM main speakers were drowning out the CX-007 (that is with the Center volume set to FULL!). Since DCM went downhill with their design, quality and availability I went searching around. I came across Polkaudio and Cambridge Soundworks. I had heard of both and knew that Polk was notably the more recognizable brand (at least for me.) I listened to both and found that Polk indeed lived up to its reputation as a great sounding speaker at a reduced cost level (which I think you are under selling yourself, though I won't argue;) ) So I purchased the CSI30 and the PSW202.

All I can really say is that they accent the DCM Timeframe 600s perfectly. The sound, pitch, and timbre were seamless across the front (still have the nappy, Yamahas in the rear.) Furthermore, I found that the CX-007 was somehow drowning out the Dolby Pro-Logic Decoralation as sound didn't travel well from Front to Rear. Amazingly enough, with the CSI30, Sound perfectly travels across the front to the rear.

All in all I am now a fan of Polk Audio, and though you know me not, that is a high compliment coming from me. In the future I will be seeking out a pair of Di-Polar rear channels to finally put to rest the Yamahas.

Thanks for reading,
Gaikotsu

P.S. I realize that most people in this forum could blast my system out of the universe, but I am still rpoud of my setup. In case anyone is interested here is what I am running:

TV: Sony Trinitron 27 inch SVHS-ready
Reciever: Harmon Kardon AVI200 II (rated 100watts@40amps stereo, 65watts@40amps frnt,cntr, 25watts@40amps rear in 5 channel mode.)
DVD: Toshiba SD-3109
Front Speakers:DCM TF-600 30Hz-20kHz 6ohm 5-250watts Sen: 92dB
Center: CSI30 (i assume you know the specs)
Rear: Yamaha NS-A525 95Hz-20kHz 8ohm 10-60Watts max Sen: 90dB
Sub: PSW202
Cables:
speakers: 12gauge Monster cable with AudioQuest High-definition Bannana Plugs
DVD: AudioQuest FPC audio cables.
Video: Tributaries 75ohm S-VHS
Post edited by Gaikotsu on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Congrats on your new purchase!

Yes, Polks are lovely speakers, and yes they do carry an excellent price tag! Well all know this oh too well! I can see you've been bitten by the upgrade bug, and Have a fun ride, because that bug doesn't leave very easily:D

In regards to DCM, To my knowledge, they were bought out by MTX. I used to sell them as well, untill they were discontinued and very similar MTXs started showing up at our CC stores. MTX sent us a 10" sub IDENTICAL to the 10" DCM we discontinued. And sorry to say, the new MTX 3-ways SUCKED. I think the tweeter was there for looks, because it wasn't doing anything else.

But have fun listneing!
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited May 2003
    Options
    wow you are the only other person i have seen that owns yamaha speakers. i have the NS-A635 and am not using them. would you be interested in buying them? i can take pics if you'd like.
  • Airplay355
    edited May 2003
    Options
    i realize that the NS-A635's arent on yamahas website but they look almost identical to the 636's. let me know if ur interested.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited May 2003
    Options
    DCM is indeed a sister company to MTX and Xtant among others. My brain isn't functioning right now so I can't remember the parent company name. My store actaully startd carrying DCM a few months ago. They sound pretty good for a lower priced speaker.
  • Gaikotsu
    Gaikotsu Posts: 2
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

When I was selling DCM (back in 1994) they extremely well engineered for their price tag. Even today I'd have to buy Paradigm or Klipsh to best it (or maybe even an Altec Lansing Electro-static speaker). Actually, now that I think about it, getting the floor standing Polks would probably beat them too:)

DCM had a decent run, they just weren't well advertised. I noticed in later years that the specs on some the speakers were dropping. They were getting worse. Funny thing, the vice-president of the company I work for almost bought DCM! We had a chuckle or two discussing their earlier speaker designs.

You're darn right the upgrade bug doesn't last long; usually due to limitations of the pocket-book;) Otherwise I'd have purchased the Di-polar rears:)

In regards to the NS-A635's I've seen them before. I suppose it depends on how much you are selling them for. Sadly, I have spent my Tax-refund (which was my primary source of excess funds) on the Polk spearkers.

Actually, my next upgrades are going to be to my main system. I want a DTS amp, a new CD player, and Silver-core speaker wire. However, I know I am dreaming and that it'll be a LONG way off (thank god I am not married yet or the goal would be much further away!)

Gaikotsu
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Polk does make fine Spearkers, as you said. Enjoy em, and Welcome to da forum!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Airplay355
    edited May 2003
    Options
    what would you consider an acceptable price?