Question?

Ok If I got 2 polk GXR's with 100 wats pushing each.
How do I know when they are at there limit or when there bout to blow. Because I've seen some people with there GXR's lookin like there bout to fall apart because there vibrating so much.

Any advice will help.:)
Post edited by poop in a hat on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited May 2003
    **** In a hat, check the car audio section. When they start to pop, crackle, etc - you need to turn it down. When it sounds strained, or just planly distorted.....you are pushing it.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Try posting your question in the car audio area, you might get better results there.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2003
    poopy, (I just managed to control my laghter, sorry) - I think I read this in a Polk car audio article or something: "If it distorts, turn it down. Then buy more stuff".

I think when you mentioned "looked like they were about to fall apart", that's true, but not totally. Some drivers are made to be very high excursion, and will exert *very* far without blowing up. But if there is any kind of unpleasance in the sound, e.g. hissing (not horrible), crackling (turn the damn thing down!), or if it sounds like farting (TURN THAT F*CKING THING DOWN THIS INSTANT!!!!), then the speakers are telling you to turn them down.

You have to be especially careful with tweets. It's not hard to give then too much juice. Usually they will sound a little gritty and harsh and then - ***poof!***
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited May 2003
    RS, We should have like **** in a Shoe, or **** in a Sock, or **** in a Wig....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2003
    oops, MX beat me. i did an edit, BTW