Usefull links when trying to build a sub.

Options
McLoki
McLoki Posts: 5,231
edited August 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Have been thinking of trying to build a subwoofer (sonosub) and found some pretty usefull web links I thought I would share with you all.

Pretty much any shape sub you want to build - here is how to determine its interior volume and what size port you need to tune it. (I think you need to subtract the port volume from your overall sub volume. Important to keep in mind when you are trying to tune low and the ports are large both in length and diameter)

The above link lists things in cubic feet and many wesites recommend volume based on liters. Here is a good conversion page to let you convert almost any size to any other....

There are alot of sub manufacturers out there, but the tempest, Shiva and Malestrom sub lines were pretty well regarded in DIY circles. There is an updated version of these now available (the original company went out of business).

I found a local supplier of sonotubes by looking up "concrete forms" in the local yellow pages. I use this to look up almost any address or phone number whenever I travel. (can use with my phone and works great - just change location)

Anyway - just thought you might find some of the links useful.

Michael
Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited August 2008
    Options
    http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm
    Here you go! Forget the other programs like winISD, and such. They just don't get it right. I used sonosub.exe for my calcs, and modded my tube, and port after with winISD. Well long story short sonosub does sonosubs right! Mine is collecting dust right now. No more HT:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben