bi-wiring

Options
Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
wtf is biwiring? don't tell me to look around somewhere else because this question is too easy to answer in a polk forum, i've tried and i don't get it. what are the advantages? what do you need to do it? someone explain this to me in a way i can understand (im only 15 so don't give me a dr. spec explanation they just confuse me, sry doc lol) i have rti100s as mains
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Bi-wire.
    Two parallel wire runs per channel.
    Start both runs at the same amp output.
    Terminate one run at one speaker's posts.
    Terminate the 2nd run at the other posts on the same speaker.
    Remove the jumpers the speaker came with.
    Supposed to add more detail. Many hear a difference, some don't.

All that said, I don't beleive rti100's are bi-wireable (seems I read this a while ago) as one pair of posts are for its sub, and the 2nd pair are for its mid/wolfer and tweeter. In true bi-wiring you are looking to separate the feeds to the tweets and the mid/woofers.

OK?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bionicmushroom
    bionicmushroom Posts: 73
    edited May 2003
    Options
    AVR: Onkyo TX-SR604/s
    Front: Polk Rt1000i
    Center: Polk CS400i
    Surround: Polk FX500i
    Subwoofer: Polk PSW110
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    don't tell me to look around somewhere else because this question is too easy to answer in a polk forum.

WTF!!! Do a search here on the forum or is that too much work for your 15 year old brain to handle.......jeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Decent link, 'shroom. But I still don't get:
    "By removing this link, each crossover section receives a full signal of its own from the amplifier."

How the signal differs from one run with the external jumpers in place, is beyond me. I mean the crossovers are still separate, thus the external jumper... duh...

From a circuits analysis standpoint the two are identical, excepting that one has more wire.

Hummm... maybe the bi-wire guy just forgot the 'g' and it should read "big-wire"... now that I could understand... ;)

Edit: and yeah F1, I agree, but it's been a while since my last encounter with AirPlay... so I thought I'd give it another shot.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I believe that bi-wiring prevents any bleeding between the low and high pass filters.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bionicmushroom
    bionicmushroom Posts: 73
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I was just trying to find something with a pic so he could get a visual picture.....:rolleyes:
    AVR: Onkyo TX-SR604/s
    Front: Polk Rt1000i
    Center: Polk CS400i
    Surround: Polk FX500i
    Subwoofer: Polk PSW110
  • Airplay355
    edited May 2003
    Options
    i did try to search for this stuff and i dont understand it sry, im startin to get it now except for the point, i dont get why ppl would wanna do it tour2ma said he didnt hear a difference.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I heard a difference. Give it a try, what do you have to loose?
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Airplay355
    edited May 2003
    Options
    my receiver doenst have 5 way binding posts, just the stupid little "lift up, push the wire in, push down" clippy things. can i still bi wire
  • dcarlson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    You could, but good luck trying to stuff 2 wires into those spring clips.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Don't sweat it if your receiver only has spring clips. It probably won't make that big of a difference.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Airplay355
    edited May 2003
    Options
    now all i need is some wire lol
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    shroom,
    I wasn't dis’ing the link. It was a good picture… worth a thousand words.

Airplay,
    For the record I did not say whether I have heard a difference or not. All I said is that I do not understand how bi-wiring can produce a difference.

From a circuit analysis standpoint, bi-wiring is no different than single wire and jumpers. Both arrangements apply the same voltage potential across both speaker terminals. In both arrangements both pairs of terminals see half the current. The argument can be made that bi-wiring is the equivalent of replacing a very short jumper with a very long one.

Bottom line… I am not saying it cannot produce a difference, just that I do not understand how it can. Just another item in a very long list of things I do not understand.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

Bottom line… I am not saying it cannot produce a difference, just that I do not understand how it can. Just another item in a very long list of things I do not understand.

Me too...

The only logical reason I can think is that since the 2 way crossover is split into the high and low.... the 2 signal paths cannot interfere, ("mix" for lack of better terminology) with each other.

Did I say that right or am I confusing myself???

HBomb :confused:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    HBomb,

That's it. I quess I didn't make it clear in my post. It prevents bleeding (interference) between the high and low pass.

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Airplay355, sometimes it's best not to understand bi wiring. the concept makes no sense to some people. while I know how to hook it up.. i don't claim to understand exactly how it works. yeah it did improve the sound quality in my main speakers. other people don't notice a difference. to each his own.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • HBombToo
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    HBomb,

That's it. I quess I didn't make it clear in my post. It prevents bleeding (interference) between the high and low pass.

Just looked back through and saw that we said the same thing... Teaches me to be more thorough.

HBomb:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Airplay355, sometimes it's best not to understand bi wiring.
    Great advice to a 15 year-old... don't be curious... just accept what you hear, see, are told...

BTW, the light in the fridge... It does go out... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• HBombToo
    edited May 2003
    Options
  • F1nut
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll second that!!!

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thank you. You've been a great audience. Good night...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dcarlson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Tour, is that your George Costanza impression? Showmanship, always leave them wanting more. :lol:

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gotta exit on a 'high' right?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Posts: 120
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I definitely heard a difference on my RTi70
    try it and see...................
    Eliab/Dave Abrams calibrated Panny
    Yamaha,Denon,Toshiba "in the rack"
    Polks all around
    SVS on the floor
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    edited May 2003
    Options
    here is biwiring..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    well...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    KASHEATS!!! GOSH DARNIT!!! JUSTIN THE PICS DONT WORK! YOU CANT UPLOAD ANYTHING!!!! GOSH DARNIT!!!!!!!
  • Tour2ma
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nope can't... well this is going to cramp our style....
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Nope can't... well this is going to cramp our style....

no kiddin man..
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2003
    Options
    did anybody talk to technical support, yet?
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.