Preamp or Crossover for Subwoofer??

Options
I'm in the process of buliding a ported subwoofer that will be run by a Adcom amp. Can I use a preamp to run the sub or do I need a crossover controller? If anyone knows what my solution is, please let me know.
Thanks
tim

By the way, the sub I will be using is a Adire Audio Tempest subwoofer and the amp is a Adcom GFA-555II. The drvier is a dual voice coil design so each coil will get 325w each. Any opinions on this setup will be apreciated!:confused:
Tim
Post edited by tgoodley on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Sure, just send the amp the sub-out signal from the preamp. The signal will already be filtered. The Adcom will simply amplify whatever is sent to it.

I did the same thing with my h/k 870 amp and my dual Advent subs - worked perfectly.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Here's a pic. Use a Y splitter off the sub pre-out to run both channels of the amp.

Doc

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Doc, I see two things here.

1. COOL use of 'what you have'.

B. What a WASTE of those vintage Kloss speakers.

Now, to make conversation, did you modify the Advents at all, or just let that sealed box do what it does it best?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ditto Russ... bet the Advents were totally unmolested.

Doc, had no idea you were a collector.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Russ:

I wouldn't dream of molesting the Advents, nor was it needed in this application since the signal was filtered at the receiver, only bass was sent their way.

They did a damn good job between the dual 350s and my SVS. Although I must admit to bottoming them a few times for HT DVD playback, I was frankly amazed at how much bass power they generated with the h/k amp.

Tour/Russ, I have owned these Advents for about 15 years and they have been re-woofed and are working mint. They hold a prominent place in the upstairs rig and are used daily for TV, casual music, and VCR for the kids. They are being driven by a Sherwood 105WPC stereo receiver and sound as good as ever.

As far as "sealed box do what is does best", nothing beats acoustic suspension bass for pure sound quality. The Advents are flat to 31 Hz and -3 dB at 29 Hz and goodbye Charlie after that. So they aren't bottom feeders, but they dig low enough for almost all music and sound fabulous doing it.

Doc

SVS
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited May 2003
    Options
    tgoodley-

What enclosure did you decide to go with for the tempest. I'm just curious becasue I'm almost finished with my 214L vented box and I'm going to compare it to my 122L sealed enclosure when both boxes are complete. I curious to know what route you took and how you like it!

Thanks,
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • tgoodley
    tgoodley Posts: 13
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey BL,
    I'm also building the Adire Alignment Box (214L). Unfortunately, I am still at the beginning stages. I have all the pieces cut down but still have to glue together. Don't have my own wood tools but a buddy of mine lets me use his woodshop but... he lives 80miles away! Anyway, I plan on posting pictures of the final project whenever that time comes (could be awile yet) but will let you know my results.
    Tim
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2003
    Options
    http://www.audiosold.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=1131053396483

Here's a homemade one for $39.00. I too will build a sub one day. I've got a Dayton driver, sonotube & Carver amp. Just no time or motivation.
    Make it Funky! :)