No sound from Midrage and woofers

bgeoghan1
bgeoghan1 Posts: 3
edited May 2003 in Troubleshooting
I hoping that someone can help me diagnose my speaker problems. I own a pair of RTA 11t's. The speakers have a tweeter, 2 mids and 2 woofers. Music is only coming from the tweeter on one of the speakers. I've isolated the issue to the speaker by changing out the wires and amps. I just don't know what to do next. How do I determine what's wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by bgeoghan1 on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited May 2003
    Sounds like you could have a bad connection in the speaker itself or possibly a bad crossover. Try swapping the crossover with the other speaker.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    You can check to see whether it's the speakers themselves or the crossover network by removing the individual speakers and connecting their positive and negative termanals straight up to the speaker wire (doesn't matter which termal to which wire). A few things to be careful about:
    *don't use this method for the tweeter (they have very low power handling)
    *Careful not to touch the positive and negative ends of the speaker wire to each other
    *Have the volume way down or off when you connect them, then SLOWLY increase it.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    First the 2 'woofers' are passive radiators. They won't 'work' unless the mid-basses do.

Second, if you *gently* press (evenly) on the midbasses, do they move at all, or do you they resist (you will notice the surround start to fold)? If they do move, do you hear/feel a 'rubbing'?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • bgeoghan1
    edited May 2003
    Thanks for the quick replies.

The top midrange feels looser than the bottom midrange when gently pressed. No sound is coming from either midrange.

The top one, when pressed makes a slight muffled sounds, seems to go back furhter when pressed than the 2nd.
  • bgeoghan1
    edited May 2003
    I took GuitarheadCA advice and removed the two mid-basses - one at a time. I applied the speaker wire to the top mid-bass and there was sound. I did the same for the bottom and no sound came from it, but sound did come from the tweeter above it.