2nd sub opinions

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
If I turn the volume control on my psw450 past about 2:00 I can overdrive the amp and get those awful clipping type sounds. Looking at my setup in the signature I would be interested in hearing opinions on weather adding a second matching sub would be a good idea? :confused:
Post edited by reeltrouble1 on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited May 2003
    Options
    First of all - NEVER, EVER DO THAT AGAIN! You are probably hitting the Xmax of the driver, and could permanently dammage it! Another 450 would work if you have no other options, but if it were me for the same money I would buy an SVS <---[click there] and get myself below 20hz
  • reeltrouble1
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I am duly chastized for overdriving my sub!!:eek:

RS, those SVS are nice. What I really would like is one of there high end models, but right now CC is closing out the 450 for 250.00 delivered to the door on their website clearance, hard to pass, when I use the Polk calculator and put my numbers in for room size etc. it shows two of the 450's as being right for me.

Thanks for the link.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Don't be too quick to go lay down hard earned cash on a second sub. It's a FACT that adding a second sub will only increase your max SPL output by 3-6 db. And 3-6 db does NOT sound twice as loud, as 3 db is about the smallest volume difference most people can hear.
    Check the sub output on your reciever, and try moving the sub around in your room. Unless you have a HUGE room, the 450 should be able to do the job w/o clipping.

But Hey, think of this way- besides the money, there are NO downsides to having a second sub! So whatever float's your boat.

Guitarhead
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    G-Head... by definition 3 db is double the sound pressure level and that is what the second sub should gain rt1 in top output. Great point on the sub's placement.

rt1, consider trying the old "put- the-sub-at-your-listening-position-and-crawl-around-the-room" trick... with spl meter in tow. Couple members have done this and found better bass reinforcing locations that were acceptable in their room set-ups. Your listening position might even be in a cancellation zone relative to your sub's current location.

If the above does not improve things, while I agree with rs about considering a better sub with deeper bass extension, a second 450 stacked on your current one might prove to be very satisfying. A couple members have done just this and have been pleased with the result.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • reeltrouble1
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The 450 is doing an adequate job for me on music. However, while watching HP Chamber of Secrets the other night it started clipping during the scene when the tree falls down after the car flys into it. This happened once before during the first scene of Gladiator. Now the bass was very loud coming from that tree scene but it is well into the movie which means that for me I was listening to everything before that the way I liked it.

I cannot say for sure how I will feel about a second one. But for 250.00 shipped to the door, 30 day trial, I am willing to find out.

I suspect that the bassman in me will only be truly happy with sub that has a lower range than the 450 but all things in time.

Thanks for tips, even with the second sub I am going to redo all the calibration tips.

My system is ever evolving.

Hey G-head, I still got my Epiphone six string I bought in 68, along with my bandmaster bottom and a vox head, so as you can see I can hang on to things for a long time!!!:D
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2003
    Options
    $250 shipped is a good deal, so you don't have much to loose, and perhaps all you need is that extra 3 db. I myself own two Velodyne SPLs and although I don't need both, I've run them both before.

And Good call on the guitar- Can't say I've much experience with stuff that classic (you're guitar's quite a bit older than me) but I still know where you're comin' from.