My bass is back, Thanks DR. Spec

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
Hey i wen't ahead and ran the single sub cable to a Y adapter into the subs L/R input, calibrated everything and boom, sub is at -2 sub volume at 12 O'clock and imcreased my bass by atleast 20-30% i guess, i know i had to turn things way down when i spl'ed it up today, And also the sub crossover is all the way up, I called Integra and they said the sub out is at 80hz, non adjustable... Thanks again
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Cool - 80 is a great choice for all around use. If the filter is maxed out on the 404, it won't affect the sound at all with an 80 Hz filter point in the Integra. Gotta love good bass done right!
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • lord_byron
    lord_byron Posts: 23
    edited May 2003
    My/the psw404 has an unfiltered LFE input. How is it better to run through the sub's built in crossover? It seems like that just adds unnecessary junk to the signal chain. btw, I have everything properly calibrated (S&V disc and Rat Shack meter); the sub's volume control is at 10:00 and the receiver is at 0. Crossover point on the receiver is 80 hertz. Receiver is a H/K 325. Everything sounds A++!
  • lord_byron
    edited May 2003
    Ok, just read the other thread that discusses all this, and now I understand.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Originally posted by lord_byron
    My/the psw404 has an unfiltered LFE input. How is it better to run through the sub's built in crossover? It seems like that just adds unnecessary junk to the signal chain. btw, I have everything properly calibrated (S&V disc and Rat Shack meter); the sub's volume control is at 10:00 and the receiver is at 0. Crossover point on the receiver is 80 hertz. Receiver is a H/K 325. Everything sounds A++!

Lord - you are most correct and normally I would consider using anything but the unfiltered LFE input in this application to be sacrilege.

Many studies have shown the sub pre-out to start showing significant distortion above 0 level. Upwards of 4-5% at the max level (10 or 12, etc.). For this reason, I always recommend 0 or lower for the sub level and adjust at the plate amp for calibration.

But unfortunately it sounds like the Integra has a weak sub pre-out, so this is the next best thing but I agree, it adds some junk to the signal path by going through the filter network of the sub. He could have also bought a pre-out signal booster, but they are expensive and can add some hum.

My SVS is nice because I can use both L/R pre-outs if I want, because there is a filter disable switch on the amp panel which takes it out of the signal path rather than a single "LFE Unfiltered" input like Polk uses.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • lord_byron
    edited May 2003
    Thanks for the reply Doc. I should have read the other thread before asking about all of this...

Anyway, I have been reading the Polk forum for a while, and feel like I know some of you guys already.

--Byron