parellell wiring mains

Options
gshisme
gshisme Posts: 1,038
OK I'm on my way to a good buzz and their is something I just gotta try. Wiring my RT600's and R50's in parellel. Are their any bad consequences to doing this other than dropping the impedence down to 4 ohms?

Gotta love stupid questions like this.:p
suds, suds and more suds!
Post edited by gshisme on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    As long as your amp can handle it no problem from my perspective. I really enjoy the way my parallel settup sounds.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    HBombToo,

thanks..just trying to get a little more base from the R's when listening in stereo mode. See what happens.
  • HBombToo
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Make sure you drink 1 for me you lucky bastage!!!:lol:

Here is how I set mine up. My wife calls it stonehenge

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    already have man. but just in case i'll do another for ya. I think I'll call mine speaker piles in corners.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Not trying to highjack here gshisme but we're 600 bro's so hopefully you won't mind.
    Although the WAF would never approve of the "Stonehenge" or "Piles 'o speakers" look it might be fun to try in her absence (I work from home). How do you wire in parellel? 2 sets of wires out of the AVR or 1 and jump to the second? Also, if the impedence drops to 4, would I change the impedence switch from 8 to 4 or leave it alone?
  • HBombToo
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I just run an additional line for +&- to the other speaker. Keep + going to + and - going to minus and you'll be OK.

Don't worry about hijacking... its the Polk way!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ken brydson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hmm, might have to give it a try. So don't change the impedence switch to 4? Wife is gone for a few days in June.
    Damn, wish I would've bought 2 pairs of 600's @ $200
  • gshisme
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ken brydson

Hey man hyjack away..interesting stuff comes from it.
    Ken, how do you like em...You must since you wish you had a second pair. Check out the parellel thing..pretty cool. Gave me what I was hoping for. Mr. Rotel doesn't mind at all.
  • ken brydson
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I love them but sometimes feel they're being wasted as surrounds. Was toying with the second set so I could run parellel with the LS50 mains and a set for surrounds
  • HBombToo
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by ken brydson
    Hmm, might have to give it a try. So don't change the impedence switch to 4? Wife is gone for a few days in June.
    Damn, wish I would've bought 2 pairs of 600's @ $200

Ken, in your case I would flip the switch to 4 Ohm's. My amp is rated down to 4 Ohm's with no switch. Parallel the speakers up, flip the switch and start playing with your speaker position for the best image you can achieve.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***