Router guide thoughts

Options
strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited July 2008 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I'm getting supplies together for building a pair of speakers, and was wondering if anyone had thoughts/suggestions for a circle router guide. I'm looking at one of these from Madisound. I'll be using it to cut out the hole for the driver in the baffle. I've got a Dewalt router kit with a plunge, regular, and D handle bases, FWIW.
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Worth it if you're going to use it often, but for a single project you can just as easily screw your router to a some scrap plywood w/ a hole drilled in the the right spot.

Make sure that it'll fit your model- there's some variation in the hole spacing on dewalt routers IIRC.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited July 2008
    Options
    If you plan on using it more than a few times, they are totally worth it. You have to use your plunge base, and even if the predrilled holes don't line up to your base it is easy to make new ones.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2008
    Options
    The 200 works great.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2008
    Options
    I have the 200 also. The thing is the best speaker building tool you can own. Even for one job it is worth it. You can also set your router to plunge just a little bit to flush mount your drivers;)
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • unc2701
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I have the 200 also. The thing is the best speaker building tool you can own. Even for one job it is worth it. You can also set your router to plunge just a little bit to flush mount your drivers;)
    Ben

Just make sure you do the recess before you do the hole (Yeah, I had a major DOH! moment:rolleyes:)
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited July 2008
    Options
    unc2701 wrote: »
    Just make sure you do the recess before you do the hole (Yeah, I had a major DOH! moment:rolleyes:)

Me too:o I had to take and screw a couple blocks in there to fix that, and I got lucky it was dead center:cool: That is for sure the best tip, and I'll add two. Don't try to do the full depth in one pass go almost all the way through, and on the second finish it off. Works much better in clockwise direction.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2008
    Options
    FYI - you can usually find the Jasper router guides at any woodworking supply store. The 200 is $29.95 at my local store.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • unc2701
    edited July 2008
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Me too:o I had to take and screw a couple blocks in there to fix that, and I got lucky it was dead center:cool: That is for sure the best tip, and I'll add two. Don't try to do the full depth in one pass go almost all the way through, and on the second finish it off. Works much better in clockwise direction.
    Ben

Good tips!

One last one:
    Be ready for everything to come loose when you finish the second pass. Nothing sucks like putting a notch in your perfect circle.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2008
    Options
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everybody. Looks like the 200 is the way to go.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco