My New Polk RTA-12c's

Options
dthomps
dthomps Posts: 352
edited May 2003 in Speakers
I got these on Monday. I told HBomb I would probably get them under $200, well I was right. He liked me a lot, and really liked the fact I was so into Polk, so he let me have them for $120. A killer deal in my book. Not to mention, it was from the original owner, and he kept these things MINT! They came with the original receipt, and a bunch of old Polk brochures and booklets, the original Manual, and a few reviews on the speakers from Stereo Review and Off The Record. He was an older guy, and had them hooked up to a cool NAD 7600 receiver. He was using them about 6" apart (just like I have in my photos) wired with lamp cord (I mean I actually think its what that crap was) and right against the wall. Ouch! good thing I rescued them. He bought them from SoundScape in Baltimore on August 27, 1985, moved to California in 1996, and now is moving to New York. He said that the only 3 times they have changed locations in his ownership was First buying them, Moving out of MD, and Selling them to me. I was stoked to get such a find. I havent had much of a chance to really listen unfortunately, because school is a lot of work right now and I dont yet have something that would do them justice, But what I did hear, sounded excellent. Take it easy guys and thanks for reading my thread. Mike
Post edited by dthomps on

Comments

• dthomps
    edited May 2003
    Options
    The tweeters, I have heard good things about the sl-2000.
  • dthomps
    edited May 2003
    Options
    ...and one with the grille off. God I wish I had a high-res digital camera...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Looks effin GREAT from here.

How about a nice pic of the network for the good folks here? In my experience with Polk, I'd put this speaker in the top 5, maybe even top 3 that Polk has ever made.

NICE.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dthomps
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Is this what you were looking for, Russ? I dont know what you mean about a 'nice' pic, since my camera sucks, must have been an insult. :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah, hate to sound like a **** director, but pan down a little and let's see those BIG copper-wound coils.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited May 2003
    Options
    dt,

Those first 3 pics are crystal clear, no kidding. The xover pic is a little fuzzy, maybe you've got to learn how to focus....j/k. Congrats on your new speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dthomps
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Thanks F1.
    Wish I could use the focus- there isnt one! I tried taking pics of the coils like Russ asked, but it just aint happening. If you really want them, say the word. But they are bad.
    Mike
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Nah, there is actually a glimpse in pic no. 2.

Did he have the original boxes? I didn't see you list them, but that set actually came in FOUR boxes. The entire tweeter and crossover unit can be removed easily for shipping. They were packed seperately, along with the top grilles that cover them.

I can't WAIT for my 12c's.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • dthomps
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Yeah, he said he had the boxes, but when I got there he said he forgot to look for them. I was a bit bummed but he said they were nothing too special and kind of beat up and damaged over the years. As it was, I really couldnt ask for more. Thats actually the way I got them home, I brought a big box for the "High Frequency Units" and set them in with a few pieces of cardboard holding them in place. For the "Low Frequency Units" I brought a bunch of blankets and was extra careful on the 120 mile drive back. It was all worth it though. Are you getting yours locally, or having them shipped?
    Mike
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2003
    Options
    It will be locally, sort of, on my next visit to Troy's humble abode. That is, if he doesn't change his mind.

Either way though, I'm not above using chloroform to get what I want.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • dthomps
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I hear ya :D
    If you want, I can make you a few nice copies of the reviews I got with mine, they are pretty interesting.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey man, I would LOVE that. I'll burn a couple hard-to-find cd's for ya in trade.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Either way though, I'm not above using chloroform to get what I want.

That's it, your invite is cancelled!!! ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dthomps
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Russ- Cool deal bro.
    F1- Good choice... :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Hey, c'mon. Chloroform has a LOT of good uses.

I'm an equal-opportunity psychotic. A wise old man once told me, if they can chew through the leather straps by morning, they can leave.

That seems more than fair to me.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm diggen the bif blue badass caps!!! ;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***